Page 3 of 230 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. ::seedy eyes::

GameFan Network (surely this was seperate from GameFan the magazine) was run by eFront, and eFront were a bunch of real cheap pricks who rarely paid their hosted sites for advertisement hits. They eventually closed up shop (WITHOUT PAYING US MIND YOU), and all the sites got the shaft -- including my old prodigy fighters.net, somethingawful.com, and a handful of PC gaming sites.

2. Andrew Cockburn
    Heh.

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    ::seedy eyes::

GameFan Network (surely this was seperate from GameFan the magazine) was run by eFront, and eFront were a bunch of real cheap pricks who rarely paid their hosted sites for advertisement hits. They eventually closed up shop (WITHOUT PAYING US MIND YOU), and all the sites got the shaft -- including my old prodigy fighters.net, somethingawful.com, and a handful of PC gaming sites.
    If you (or others) can expand a bit on GameFan Network, I'll put up a page for that as well.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. I explained pretty much all I remember about them... We got a shitty server, they never paid us, and they folded after only a few months because they couldn't afford to pay hosted sites for advertising.

5. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Heh.
    Yeah, from the moment you're born you've got a lot of wonderful times to look forward to with a name like that. Might as well be home schooled your entire life.

6. Nice job on the page so gar, Shidoshi. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Quote Originally Posted by djpubba
    Tim Lindquist (me).
    Who were you? Your alter ego in the mag, I mean.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 24 Dec 2004 at 03:03 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I was just about to say that. They have most of the dirt on what went down.

Matt, I heard rumors back in the day that some GF editors caught shit because were selling review copies of games to pirates. Any truth to that as far as you know?
    I know what you are reffering to, but it was this:

RE2 review copy came in.
    Andrew Cockburn took it home and, no pun intended, burned it.
    2 days later it was brought to the attention of he president of Capcom Japan that it was released in HK, a copy was brought to him and he wasn't happy.
    Federal Marshals raid GF office.
    Took at least 2 years for Capcom to leave a review copy of a game at GF, usually they were there waiting as it was played.

So, true it happened, not true it was sanctioned or intended by GF.

The January 2001 Issue was finished and burned onto CD, btw. I assumed Bruce had it, but he might not have taken it.

The 55,000,000 'investment' is shady as well. Rumor has it that Dave Bergstein 'lost' 30,000,000+ of it and it's a mystery to most why a hitman hasn't shown up on his doorstep.

There was also 2 different and yet unnamed buyers for GF that were in negotian's to buy GF from around December 1st-15th (Shit Birthday Luck again) and then on to about the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by adol
    MVS, tell the Fury drug test story again.
    Post CS tonight.

8. Very informative thread. Can't wait to see the finished product Shidoshi.

I still miss me some GF

9. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    The January 2001 Issue was finished and burned onto CD, btw. I assumed Bruce had it, but he might not have taken it.
    Really? Damn, that's be nice to see, if for no other reason than just curiousity's sake.

hmm, could one of you clear one thing up for me? What were the politics behind the chat going pure java? I think I've been told, but it was so long ago I have forgotten.

The funny thing about them doing that was that most of the original GF chatters used mirc, so they couldn't refused to use the java version. Because of that a mirc GF Tavern clone was made.

Despite the site dying, the clone chat is still around. It is on the same server that neomega, gamego and later, TNL chat was put on.