Page 6 of 230 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Speaking of GameFan rarities, here's an interesting one I found on an old Syquest disk. It's the media kit we made to take to CES before the launch of the magazine. We couldn't afford to print it so the only thing that even possibly exists besides the files is the film, which probably got tossed in a move.

Here's a PDF of it.

http://www.o-sd.com/GamefanMediakit.pdf

Some of the graphic links are missing so they come out with white boxes around them. As bad as it is, it wasn't as THAT bad. (Okay, the background on that masthead is that bad).

2. This is turning out to be quite the interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    Andrew Cockburn took it home and, no pun intended, burned it.
    With his cock?

Thanks for the info, dude.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 25 Dec 2004 at 09:33 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    ::does a double-take::

wait a sec, you almost got fired for having dyed hair?
    Yup. The argument was that I wasn't presentable to the reps from game companies anymore.

Of course, I never was presented to reps in the first place. Also, the entire office itself was never presentable to reps. *heh*

Quote Originally Posted by djpubba
    Speaking of GameFan rarities, here's an interesting one I found on an old Syquest disk. It's the media kit we made to take to CES before the launch of the magazine. We couldn't afford to print it so the only thing that even possibly exists besides the files is the film, which probably got tossed in a move.
    Consider that stolen for later use. *heh*

Very interesting. If you have anything else from the early days of GF, I'd love to see it.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Who were you? Your alter ego in the mag, I mean.
    Yeah, Dole, I was wondering who djpubba was as well. Good question!

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. I did very little writing since I was too busy doing the "real" work. Especially in the beginning when George and I were the only ones who knew how to type. The "writers" would all stand around us at the computer and dictate their reviews as we typed them directly into the layout.

The only stuff I ever wrote went under the name "King Fausto". I did a few Viewpoints and a Streets of Rage preview.

6. Hmm..."King Fausto." Doesn't ring a bell. I started collecting GF from the issue with the Killer Instinct cover on, so I assume you made your appearances before then. But thanks anyway.

Guess you're one of Gamefan's "unsung heroes."

7. Quote Originally Posted by djpubba
    The only stuff I ever wrote went under the name "King Fausto".
    A "Forbidden Zone" reference. Well-played.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. Quote Originally Posted by djpubba
    The "writers" would all stand around us at the computer and dictate their reviews as we typed them directly into the layout.
    What?

There's gotta be a story behind this...

9. Whats that story about how the GF crew weren't getting their paychecks for a long period of time and Halverson was driving around in an Audi TT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

Dango is still around. I'm not sure what company, but he does something in regards to putting out sports games. He is the only orginal GF writer that still comes to GF_Tavern to talk.

=C he doesn't talk about VOOT much anymore.