Page 97 of 230 FirstFirst ... 83939596979899101111 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

Beats me.

I thought Nick Rox and the rest of the GF gang (except shidoshi, I really never liked that prick *heh*) were cool.

I think Casey Lowe made some of the greatest guides of all time under the Versus label, and I respect him greatly for that.

None of them shaped my life or are my heroes, they're just really fucking cool guys I'd down a beer with anyday. Get over it.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Versus' guides kicked a capacious amount of booty. Damn shame they went under.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    I thought Nick Rox and the rest of the GF gang (except shidoshi, I really never liked that prick *heh*) were cool.
    You do know you ruined your joke by actually capitalizing my name properly, unlike 99% of the other people around here. *wink*
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    You do know you ruined your joke by actually capitalizing my name properly, unlike 99% of the other people around here. *wink*
    What are you trying to say, ShiDoshi?

5. someone needs to describe the acid day in minute detail. like fer instance were there any freaked out "the mullet! the mullet is eating my soul!" moments

Hot damn!

Replies from Tim, Takuhi, Reubus, and shidoshi (proper capitalization/lack thereof duly noted)!

You've made my day. Please allow me to respond to your messages, in classic, incoherent Nick Rox style.

Tim, please don't misunderstand. Obviously you wouldn't have a successful multi-media company if you didn't possess the Mad Skillz(tm)! I have nothing but respect for your contributions to the birth of GameFan (not least of which was singlehandedly creating the GF style), and everything that came after. It goes without saying that Dave couldn't have created GameFan without the talented people that surrounded him. I simply mean to say, the man started us all down our path in the game industry, however indirectly it may have been. You began with that first catalog and ads, I began by basically hanging around Gamers' Club. (And oh, how I pined after those ads you did in EGM! I'd stare at those things for hours when I was like 12 and 13, marvelling at their intricacy. It was as if a whole new world of gaming I never knew existed was opening up before me...and I guess it was.)

Takuhi: No doubt we have catching up to do! I commiserate with you on the lack-of-memory tip. I've strained to recall amusing GameFan episodes to relate here and have come up short. In fact, many of the recollections already posted I'd completely forgot! The best I could do is like, "Hey, remember when I was sleeping vertically in the broom closet after I'd lost my office?" and, "Man, didn't Waka drive -fast-?" and, "My 'Nightwarriors' book sure took a long time to finish!" and, "Wasn't it fun breaking into Dave's office via the ducts in the ceiling in the middle of the night to retrieve the 'Street Fighter Alpha' PCB that was confiscated from us because we'd play it all day and not work, and then sneaking into the unoccupied officies next door to steal a piece of ceiling tile to replace the one I broke dropping 12 feet to the floor of his office, ninja-style?" As for 'Ys VI', yes, it was/is an -atomic bomb-. I hope you'll play the PS2 version coming out in March, though I hear nasty rumors that it won't be featuring the scandalizing JDK tunage from the PC original. Or maybe that's just for the North American version. Hey, if it doesn't I'll send you the PC OST as mp3s. It'll bring tears to your eyes (A note to Takuhi fans: The man practically -was- JDK. He had fifty or sixty Falcom CDs, I swear to God). I am, of course, playing Mister Yuji Horii's masterpiece, when lulls in my "Vana'diel Life" permit. I am so pleased you've finally awakened to the majesty that is 'Dragon Quest'!

The "Nick Rox: Movie Star" thread amused me as well! I had no idea anyone took notice of the film 'Happily Even After'. I shot it almost two years ago -- I believe I had four or five lines. It was a tiny part, shot in a day, one take. I don't remember much about it except that I wanted another take. And yes, I did make third callbacks for the role of Anakin Skywalker in 'Star Wars' Episodes II/III, though I have absolutely no idea how this information "got out". Getting so close to that part was...a difficult experience. I like to fantasize that the Prequels would have been good had I been in them. And I'd be married to Natalie Portman. Also I would have won the Academy Award for Best Actor. Another tidbit for ya'll: I also had a callback for the role of "The Kid" in the 'Matrix' sequels. Whee! What might have been, eh? All I can say is "go-kitai shite kudasai." Hopefully I'll be appearing in a Major Motion Picture coming to a Theater Near You...just as soon as I can tear myself away...from the cursed 'FFXI'...

Man, Blue Shadows. I might name my production company that someday. Nice ring, actually. If only I'd set the BGM to "Original", might my life had taken an entirely different path...?

shidoshi my good man, I'm glad to see you still doing what you do best. Thank you for always sticking up for me whenever a bit o' shit-talkin' was directed Rox's way. Yes, I took notice, with gratitude. Regarding Dan Granett's tragic death -- I hope the superlative-laden nature of my writing won't color that statement, it is was beyond tragic and I mean that from the heart -- it definitely occured in 2001. We met and interviewed Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa at the E3 that year, and got Solid Snake sketches on our 'Art of Metal Gear Solid' books together. Actually, I think Dan's was the Ninja. Anyway. I attempted to get his name in as one of the dogtags in 'MGS2', writing a letter to Kojima in Japanese, which he acknowledged the receipt of, but to no avail. Perhaps some other GameFan staffer met with an unfortunate end in '97-'98...? I can't imagine who it might be, though.

Mzo, you're damn right. Casey made the best English-language game guides ever, and you know what? He still does! Givin' a shout out to my brothers at Kaizen Media Group -- look for their products published by Prima. Yeah, that Prima, but don't let the name scare you away -- they operate independently. Also, yes, I did like 'MGS2'. A lot. I thought the Raiden device was absolutely brilliant, and I'm saddened that most fans didn't understand his purpose. I'm even more saddened that Kojima got pissy with the fans' response and lashed out like a wounded Anne Rice on amazon.com with the truly ill-conceived Raikov in the otherwise genius 'MGS3', but that's another story.

Super-Eggroll: Your Sho sig earns instant respect. I'm astonished anyone outside of GameFan remembers Skills MacGregor, though we all made every effort to promote his infinite mastery of fighting games in many issues of GameFan. Yes, Skills is indeed a forgotten hero, as is his even less-known rival, Styles. Perhaps they will one day emerge from their hermitage to wreak havoc once again on scrubs everywhere. Something tells me the current state of fighting games would disgust them, however.

This reminds me of an another potentially interesting GameFan story. I wish I could remember the guy's name, but someone sent the GameFan offices a professionally-designed business card for the (semi-) fictional Skills MacGregor, complete with personal seal bearing the motto: "Mad Skillz". That's a memento I wish I had held onto. I may be wrong, but I think David "Hoagie" Hodgson kept it.

To King Of Fighters, I wish I could say I remembered the art you sent in specifically. We sure did get tons and tons of incredible fan art, though. Far, far too much to print. This reminds me of an amazing artist whose work we printed frequently, a girl named Jen Seng who happened to be totally obsessed with Guile. I always totally dug her style, and she too has gone on to wonderful things -- like drawing the syndicated comic strip 'The Boondocks' for a while, to Aaron McGruder's script. She might still be doing it, actually, I'm not sure...I squint at the signature in the strip and it no longer seems to be Jen's. Maybe my vision is just getting worse. Perhaps someone could enlighten me! Anyway, I think she kept in touch with Terry, who she was a big fan of.

To Isamu, I -do- remember you. I even remember telling you 'Ys Book I - II' was my favorite RPG, though if you asked me today I'd be tempted to say 'Suikoden II'. I am flattered by your kind words, and gratified that I "got through" to someone via the conduit of GameFan, for that was my surely my intent. Old-school Japanese 2-D gaming needs more champions, and I'm honored to see people like yourself taking up the charge. I'm no ECM -- I readily embrace 3-D gaming when it works (I'm thinking Kojima, Miyamoto, Mikami) -- but my heart will always remain steadfastly affixed in two dimensions. And my favorite game system is -still- PC Engine. I see you have love for some 3-D games as well -- 'Ridge Racer' will always be a classic! Play 'Ridge Racers' on PSP if you aren't already. It is joy-drenched, blazing, blissful.

Jeez. Another day, another manifesto. I'll quit while I'm ahead, but anyone who'd like to drop me a line, please do so! Believe it or not I still maintain the same e-mail address. If you don't have that...hmm. Maybe I'll set up another address to deal with mail originating from this thread. Until next time, I remain

Mister Nicholas Rocks.

Oh! Oh! Now I'm totally reminded of where my breathtakingly lame GameFan name came from. No, I didn't choose it. Actually, many of us had our monikers chosen for us...a story for next time.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NRX
    And yes, I did make third callbacks for the role of Anakin Skywalker in 'Star Wars' Episodes II/III, though I have absolutely no idea how this information "got out".
    MVS, the guy that pointed it out, is former Gamefan editor Matt Van Stone, AKA Kodomo. He wrote for the mag late in its life. I assume that's how he knew.

Man, Blue Shadows. I might name my production company that someday. Nice ring, actually. If only I'd set the BGM to "Original", might my life had taken an entirely different path...?

Dude, your Toshinden 2 review was hilarious also, especially the way you tore apart the live-action intro. I liked the little "Fun facts" sections you included in it as well.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 26 Jan 2005 at 12:39 PM.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Wow. Nick Rox. The man. Pardon me. I mean...THE MAN. I really enjoyed Gamefan, but it was your reviews I looked forward to every month, no matter what it was you were reviewing. I know life goes on and such, but its a shame you aren't reviewing any more.

Quote Originally Posted by NRX
    Also, yes, I did like 'MGS2'. A lot.
    Actually, I think the game is trash ^_^ Not for the gameplay or even Raiden, mind, but for the insanely weak storyline, pathetic enemy characters, and numerous juvenile jokes and references that would rival Vic Ireland's. Haha, Snake is jerking off! Haha, a guard is pissing on him and he slipped on poop!

Like I said, it was just a joke about someone who was banned a long time ago (Zidane787) who was obsessed (and I mean OBSESSED) with MGS2. Then uh... "someone" pretended to be you and Zidane came running to kiss your feet and ask what you thought of his favorite game ever. Needless to say, "Nick Rox" slammed it and hilarity ensued.

If he's read your response, I don't doubt he's crying tears of pure, unbridled joy.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Actually, I think the game is trash ^_^ Not for the gameplay or even Raiden, mind, but for the insanely weak storyline, pathetic enemy characters, and numerous juvenile jokes and references that would rival Vic Ireland's. Haha, Snake is jerking off! Haha, a guard is pissing on him and he slipped on poop!
    Aside from that, another thing I didn't like about MGS2 was Konami's uber-deceptive marketing that made you think you played as Snake the whole game.

Then uh... "someone" pretended to be you

and Zidane came running to kiss your feet and ask what you thought of his favorite game ever. Needless to say, "Nick Rox" slammed it and hilarity ensued.
    You can relive the fun of that thread right here. It turned into quite the fake GF editor fest, with "Chief Hambleton" and "ECM" showing up as well. The GF guys visiting this thread might get a charge out of reading it.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 26 Jan 2005 at 01:36 PM.