Page 99 of 230 FirstFirst ... 8595979899100101103113 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    That is hilarious!
    Thank you.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. i hope you'll all indulge me posting some unfinished gf "fanart". I must've been 14 when i drew these. It was when Halverson was still head of the mag. The only finished stuff i did i mailed to posty.

these are all from started then aborted comics.

first is Halverson as Magneto (not that noticeable but he does have long hair and a mustache)
    second is Nick Rox vs. a dragon. I just liked drawing dragons.
    Third is a GF roadtrip. Rox gets mad at Hambleton for something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maghalverson2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	13781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rox.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	13782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gfcartrip.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	13783  
    Last edited by King of Fighters; 26 Jan 2005 at 07:41 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    You can relive the fun of that thread right here.
    Nobody ever picks me in those kinds of threads.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. I'll pick you if it makes you feel better, poopy mood.

5. Quote Originally Posted by NRX
    Super-Eggroll: Your Sho sig earns instant respect.
    Hey, thanks. I can't take full credit for it, though, as it was made for me by a Mr. Seven-Force, who is probably very busy harassing Japanese prostitutes overseas right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NRX
    Something tells me the current state of fighting games would disgust them, however.
    Verily.

6. Jen Seng. Man, I remember the mail page because of her. Back then it was like "Whoa, a girl... gaming!" I spotted letters here and there inquiring about her. Youth.

7. Hey all!
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I can't believe I have fans from the GF days... You guys made me feel, for one brief, shining second, that my entire life has not been a colossal waste.

Captain Normality - You know, I ran into Jen Seng online about a year ago. (I was the postmeister during the Jen era, so we sort of knew each other) She has a website, but I forgot the url... You can probably google it up. She sent me a picture once, and surprisingly she was actually cute. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since we all had our girl gamer crushes.

Amusingly, many of the GF readers' crushes were on our very own Kelly Rickards. I would get at least one postmeister letter a month asking us to "run a picture of her" or talking about how great it was we had a girl writer and what is she like, really?. Admittedly, it's an unusual name for a guy, but "her" character clearly depicted a well-muscled man.

Mzo - Thanks for the kind words! I loved doing this guides... I really miss being able to say whatever I wanted in unofficial guides. One hint of any sort of humor and licensors completely freak out now.

shidoshi - HA! I had forgotten about that. I TOTALLY STOLE YOUR PEN PAL! Did you know she did the art in the versus FFVII guide and the maps in the RE2 guide? And that she designed... Um... I forget which Pokémon, but some of the only good new ones in gold and silver. Do you still talk to her ever? I haven't heard from her in years, though. Wow, I feel sort of bad now. I was a shameless pen pal cuckolder. Hey, still into Tori Amos? Her new single is up on her website, if you weren't aware.

One thing I do clearly remember is your first day at GameFan. Dave really liked your fanzine, but right after your interview, or whatever, Dave came into my office and was like: "DID YOU SEE THAT GUY? He's wearing FINGERNAIL POLISH! Like a GIRL! LIKE A GIRL!!! And he WROTE ON HIS SHOES! Why would someone DO THAT?" He went on for fifteen minutes or so, and while he was clearly being an ass, I was amazed that he was so legitimately stunned. Clearly he had not been outside in a public place frequented by young people since 1978 or so. (As his own personal style attested to.)

Dolomite! You rocked in Shaolin Dolomite. Really. Great flick.

Reubus - What the hell are you up to these days? Yeah, I'm still alive! I'm now trying to remember what arcane copy editing debate we managed to maintain for months. Do you recall?

NRX - I maintain that I have not come around to DQ, but that DQ has come around to quality. DQ8 stuns me! As for Y's VI... WHY WOULD YOU REPLACE THE MUSIC IN AN Y'S GAME? That's... that's MADNESS! I already do have the PC soundtrack to Y's VI, but I was hoping for a nice arranged version. What have you heard about Taito's Y's V remake?

Yeah, it's sad how hazy those stories have become. The other day I was thinking about a good NRX story... And you need to correct me if I'm wrong here, Nick... I think you quit or something, and then came back, and Dave was being petulant and decided to make you write reviews and do layouts for crappy american games instead of imports for a month. And so you did all these reviews of AWFUL, AWFUL, US-made Saturn games, written painfully earnestly, and then even after Dave tired of the punishment you insisted on keeping at it for months, either to prove a point or solely for the sake of irony. (Some of those reviews are absolutely hilarious, but only if you read them in Nick Rox's voice.) As a result, Nick Rox is quoted on the boxes to some of the worst games ever made.

Okay, that's not a great story, but I do remember that period fondly, because it meant I got to do all the good imports.

Still, I KNOW we're all holding back some great stories. And I think part of the reason is out of respect for a certain GF staffer who is actually on these boards. Um... So what do you say, Andrew? Can we tell the really, really great stories? Now that you've found Jesus, surely embarrassing stories of your misspent youth will help you repent past sins and cement your bond with the lord? Yes? No? Maybe?

8. Jen Seng's TOONAPALOOZA Site

She's been busy.

9. "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

10. Quote Originally Posted by Super-Eggroll
    She's also a furry. Uh-oh.

Last edited by Cowdisease; 28 Jan 2005 at 08:54 PM.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios