Page 98 of 230 FirstFirst ... 849496979899100102112 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Zidane = comedy gold. I miss that jackass.

I think I'm gonna have to print this entire thread- I wonder how many ink cartridges I will need?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Did you like MGS2? That is my favorite game of all time!
    LOL

I just noticed this post. Good one.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. did takuhi write a mgs strategy guide? i remember browsing one in a store and thinking how funny and informal it was. i think it was versus.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Fighters
    did takuhi write a mgs strategy guide? i remember browsing one in a store and thinking how funny and informal it was. i think it was versus.
    ALASKAN EAR PULL!

Yeah, that was Casey Lowe. The Unofficial FF7 Guide, the RE2 guide, the MGS guide, the Ocarina of Time guide... like I said, the best guides ever.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Quote Originally Posted by NRX
    Tim, please don't misunderstand. Obviously you wouldn't have a successful multi-media company if you didn't possess the Mad Skillz(tm)! I have nothing but respect for your contributions to the birth of GameFan (not least of which was singlehandedly creating the GF style), and everything that came after. It goes without saying that Dave couldn't have created GameFan without the talented people that surrounded him. I simply mean to say, the man started us all down our path in the game industry, however indirectly it may have been. You began with that first catalog and ads, I began by basically hanging around Gamers' Club. (And oh, how I pined after those ads you did in EGM! I'd stare at those things for hours when I was like 12 and 13, marvelling at their intricacy. It was as if a whole new world of gaming I never knew existed was opening up before me...and I guess it was.)
    Thank you for the flattery. Of course I was not single handedly responsible for the style. Dave would say what he wanted and George, Terry and I would deliver it. So, what emerged was a group effort, not purely a Halverson creation. Swap out Terry for a different artist or George and I with different layouters and the results would have been very different. Maybe better, maybe worse, but not the same GameFan that emerged. I will take 100% credit for the screen shot quality, though. ;-)

If I had not been willing to trade ads for games, make the magazine for free with my own equipment, and stubbornly stay at GameClub creating the first issue alone for a week while Halverson hid at home afraid to deal with how to pay me, GameFan would never have happened. When I arrived Halverson didn't know the first thing about computers, couldn't type and barely knew the basic rules of spelling and grammar. My drive to make a magazine and my ability to do it is what got Halverson started in the magazine making business. I've seen him post in public that I was one of the many people he got started in the business and that I didn't even know how to work in color before I met him, as if he somehow made it possible for me to do that. Fuck that. That's such a typical Dave Halverson disconnect from reality. He took advantage of my skills to start a magazine, lied to me to get me to give them freely, and only barely compensated me for it all in the end because he was 50% dependant on me to make the magazine for him at the time I discovered he was screwing me over.

If I hadn't met Halverson I'd still be doing what I do today. If Halverson hadn't met me or someone like me to make a magazine for him, he sure as hell wouldn't be making magazines by himself without a few more years of hen pecking at a keyboard at the very least.

Edit: So Halverson did not start me on my path, we all started down the same path together. As for talking crap about him, come on. The man deserves crap for the shit he pulled. Yes, he did it only to make a great magazine, and a great magazine indeed came out of it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give him shit for it. He gave us 10x the level of shit he's getting back.
    Last edited by djpubba; 26 Jan 2005 at 03:09 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by zidane747
    One question though, Nick: how do you feel about Metal Gear Solid 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by (not the real) Nick Rox
    It's the worst game ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by zidane747
    .......... Okay man, now you've crossed the line. You're going on my list!! I seriously hope you're kidding here.
    Nick Rox: You didn't answer my question; were you kidding about MGS2?
    *waits patiently, stroking his freshly purchased Uzis*
    Quote Originally Posted by (not the real) Nick Rox
    I wipe my ass with that game. Sorry, but it's a fact. The game blows, and Heido Kojima should die slowly from a painful new venerial diease.

Why, do you like it or something?
    That is hilarious!
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

7. He sure did love MGS2...his "girlfriend" Julie can attest to that.

This thread is great. And I've only read bits and pieces of it.

omfg memory lane.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NRX
    It is joy-drenched, blazing, blissful.
    This kind of stuff is why I miss the way Gamefan was when you guys were all there. It's cool to hear what everyone's been up to since then... man, who knew that this thread would have turned out like this when it started? Insanity. After I thought it was dying down it keeps getting interesting again.

10. Laugh

Wow, Nick Rox!! I remember you! You were one of my favorite editors, and I remember that RE 2 preview that you did(the issue with the Crash poster inside and Lara on the cover). Nice to have you on the boards, I hope you enjoy your stay. One question though, Nick: how do you feel about Metal Gear Solid 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Rox
    It's the worst game ever made.
    ........ Okay man, now you've crossed the line. You're going on my list!! I seriously hope you're kidding here.
    Nick Rox: You didn't answer my question; were you kidding about MGS2?

*waits patiently, stroking his freshly purchased Uzis*
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Rox
    I wipe my ass with that game. Sorry, but it's a fact. The game blows, and Heido Kojima should die slowly from a painful new venerial diease.

Why, do you like it or something?