Page 218 of 230 FirstFirst ... 204214216217218219220222 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2291

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I think his Teepublic site sums up ECM's contribution to the gaming community pretty well.

Right alongside quality 16-bit t-shirts featuring niche '90s gaming properties (MUSHA, PC Engine, Toaplan, Raizing), he was selling redpill and GamerGate shirts. Maybe he was just trying to make a buck off the MRM movement, but I think there was more to it than that.
    Probably telling. While I don't have any data to back it up, there seems to me to be a very strong link between MRM and depression. I have never met one of these people who was anything other than mad at the world, and looking to make sense of it. As hateable as they are, they're also really sad. Lost boys who never found love and need someone to blame, someone to tell them they're normal and the world is mad.

2. Sad Boy Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    There's definitely a distinct difference between GF pre-ECM running things and post-ECM running things. Honestly I loved both for different reasons. To build on what Changeling said, early GF was hyping the latest import to sell in their store but I loved that coverage of imports it got me. There's so many games I wouldn't have known about then if it wasn't for GF. Later GF could be so damn honest in their reviews and weren't afraid to dislike the big names. FFVIII had major issues and GF of the time was one of the places to voice that opinion.
    Final Fantasy VIII deserved a lot of the hate it got. To this day the "Draw" system was fucking boring compared to the Materia system.

P.S. Fuck that card game. I could deal with it in IX but VIII was just boring.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. damn, yeah a lot of what he rode for was heinous, but RIP all the same.

was Full Extent of the Jam his work or am i remembering it wrong? also around what issue or so did his GF reign start, i'm blanking out on everything today
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

I liked the card game in 8!

6. the OST was nice too
    in piano
    when it didn't remind you of how dumb the plot, characters & world were
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

7. Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    damn, yeah a lot of what he rode for was heinous, but RIP all the same.

was Full Extent of the Jam his work or am i remembering it wrong? also around what issue or so did his GF reign start, i'm blanking out on everything today
    Not sure, but wasn't there a cartoon showing the "deaths" of the old personalities of the magazine? There were some Game Fans on archive.org but I think Dave Halverson bitched about it and they took them off.

Edit:

I take that last bit back. I found a few of them over there but none of them were the ECM-era mags. That was around 98/99 I think.

8. I appreciated his enthusiasm for gaming, though his tastes were wildly different from mine (remember Stretch Panic?). I'm not particularly affected by his death, but my condolences to his friends and family.

9. There was a strip in which the old crew were wiped out and the new guys rose from the ashes.
    Hilariously (in a premonition way, not a mean one), Shidoshi was shown to wear women’s underwear.

10. For those who missed it, I uploaded every "ECM-era" issue of GameFan from his beginnings as a writer all the way to him becoming Editor in Chief.

Be warned, it is a 7GB zipped archive, will take awhile to download.

https://mega.nz/#!Z5l3CDbY!-qIyZ0dp1...dNeoF6zCOCFG8o