Page 219 of 230 FirstFirst ... 205215217218219220221223 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2291

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Nice!

Truth be told, I'm not very invested in the ECM era of Gamefan, I had bounced over to Gamer's Republic before landing at GameGO somehow.

But RIP to him all the same.

2. Shocking. Wow. I won't speculate about what/why and wish we had parted on better terms. But, I can honestly say I did my best to reach out to him a bunch of times and that was never rewarded. The guy was a gifted writer for sure.

Eric was about 10 years younger than me, so I'd put him at 40ish.

As far as GameGO! I'm always here to ask if you want to know what it failed:

A.) Eric was super enthusiastic about his business model and way, way, WAY overestimated how many subscriptions there would be and what his influence was and how many magazines would sell.
    B.) Hardly anyone subscribed
    C.) EB sold about 10% of what we sent them and everything else was destroyed.
    D.) No other video game retailers/outlets sold or supported the magazine

and finally

E.) Anyone that thinks we were out to scam a bunch of friends for $24 is just out of their mind. I, personally, lost about $20,000.00 publishing the magazine and whatever subs we got went to help pay for the first printing. No one made a single penny off of the magazine. The fact that this is still a "thing" 15 or whatever years later is unreal.

Anyway, RIP ECM.

(Edit) And that's the second GameGO!'er that's gone. Rich Depping (Pokey) also is lost to us.
    Last edited by haohmaru; 22 Jan 2018 at 08:38 PM.

I subscribed. Also, Stretch Panic was doo doo.

4. I subscribed twice. $48.

GameGO! played an important role in forming my friendship with Eric that lasted 17 years.

I got the better end of the deal.

man, 20k, holy shit.

6. I subscribed. I also bought a dozen newstand copies to hand out to people at the store I worked at.
    No ragrets.

7. I’m assuming millar time is the dude whose car was featured in one of the mags?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I’m assuming millar time is the dude whose car was featured in one of the mags?
    Yeah, the crazy things we do in our youth.

Still love Dream Theater.

9. lol.

10. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Anyone that thinks we were out to scam a bunch of friends for $24 is just out of their mind. I, personally, lost about $20,000.00 publishing the magazine and whatever subs we got went to help pay for the first printing. No one made a single penny off of the magazine. The fact that this is still a "thing" 15 or whatever years later is unreal.

Anyway, RIP ECM.
    You guys just spawned a legion of troll friends is all. ECM.jpg of Scrooge in his bin is a loving prank. While I'm sure there were quite a few entitled, salty folks that demanded a refund, too many of us have now grown up to understand how business works. If there even exists a few subscribers that are still vexed over GameGo they're not worth your time.

I'm in advertising now. I see how much this costs. You guys put your hearts on your sleeves and jumped in. I respect that. YOU also stayed and checked in every now and again, Haoh. Very respectful. ECM bailed.

But I do still respect him along with the lot of you. If not for your investment, a lot of us would not be here. We wouldn't still be scheduling meetups and doing gift exchanges a decade later. TNL would have been maybe half as full.

Fuck politics. Fuck subscriptions. Fuck $24. Fuck Scrooge McDuck. You and Eric made a magazine. Because of that magazine, I recognized Dole on a human pyramid at a Guitar Wolf concert. I led IP and Sats on an impromptu tour of Chelsea. I sat with Korly at MAGFest in a panel about Wesley Willis. If anyone wants to fight you about a $24 subscription they made 15 years ago when you started a passion project, I'll fuck them up.

So, RIP ECM. Your crazy taste in games brought us all together. Let it keep us together.

(Also, thanks for the beer that one time, Haoh. I wish your store wasn't so far east!)