Page 217 of 230 FirstFirst ... 203213215216217218219221 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 2291

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. We're all old now. He's got to have been in late 30s-early 40s at the youngest.

Imo, the insults and debate should be cut and moved to a separate thread.

No one has ever had much luck in forcing tnl to behave. At the very least, it could be moved out of the most linked and referenced thread on the forum.

3. RIP. This is awful. All of it. Poor guy.

This guy was half the reason why most of us even started talking in the first place. Pretty sure being sad is legit. Maybe I just never knew him as personally as some of you.
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 22 Jan 2018 at 02:55 AM.

4. Very sad to hear.

It was thanks to him that I played a lot of great games, and maybe there’s too much of him in TNL for TNL to properly acknowledge it.

I never thought about his political leanings and don’t care to now, but I suppose what’s been said doesn’t clash with his magazine personality and screaming guy with a hammer avatar. Also just happened to scroll through the first issue of GameGo and noticed him dissing Ralph Nader in the middle of a review, but that’s not what I ever was interested in from him.

The link in that article with 6gb of Gamefan scans is a treasure trove of nostalgia, for anyone like me that had gotten rid of them a long time ago. I read some of those ECM issues probably a hundred times. RIP

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Tom Petty did 50 shows with a broken hip and then died trying to take himself out of pain. You've just dragged down my opinion of you.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. According to one thing I read he was 43.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    To me he represented an era where GameFan had kinda past its prime, but I still respect his accomplishments. Bummer.
    I feel the opposite. To me, it felt like people that weren't trying to hype up the latest import just to sell in their store. ECM-era GF felt like the inmates were running the asylum. I remember ECM tearing through Shenmue, a game that previous GF would have hyped to the high heavens. They trashed it. They also weren't keen on one of the PS1 Final Fantasies.

I'm not saying that I agreed with everything they said, I just feel that their opinion was genuine. I don't care what videogame man or woman represents what in life. Have at it. I just enjoyed something that someone created and I can acknowledge their passing with a simple RIP. Some of you people are assholes but if you pass, I'll give a tip of the hat.

8. There's definitely a distinct difference between GF pre-ECM running things and post-ECM running things. Honestly I loved both for different reasons. To build on what Changeling said, early GF was hyping the latest import to sell in their store but I loved that coverage of imports it got me. There's so many games I wouldn't have known about then if it wasn't for GF. Later GF could be so damn honest in their reviews and weren't afraid to dislike the big names. FFVIII had major issues and GF of the time was one of the places to voice that opinion.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    ECM-era GF felt like the inmates were running the asylum.
    That’s a very good way to put it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Dang, he did a lot for my teenager video-game tastes. RIP.

Bad on The Spartan on bringing politics in to this. They'd do well to edit that bullshit out.
    That seems to be a theme of the site? I've never heard of it before but I'm seeing a lot of psycho Breitbarty shit.

I can separate art and artist, and I really enjoyed ECM's work and the impact he had on the hobby. I would probably not be great friends with him, but since I never met him it's sort of beside the point to bring that up.