Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 212141516

Thread: Recommend me some graphic novels!

1. Grant Morrison + Frank Quitely on anything is an insta-purchase, but I can't wait to see the Superman they do. I hope they get 90% of it in the can before they start publishing though, because as good as Quitely is he's slow as grim death.

I could look elsewhere but I don't feel like the effort, so I'll ask- what's House of M? Yes, I'm lazy.

James

2. You are correct. Earth 2 was great.
    House of M is about Scarlet Witch an Magneto and shit.
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird

3. Quote Originally Posted by PiotrRasputin
    House of M is about Scarlet Witch an Magneto and shit.
    Yeah, it's affecting the Marvel Universe with a plethora of books. I'm thinking of picking up Bendis' House of M, Waid's Spider-Man: House of M, and maybe Iron Man: House of M just to see Pat Lee's take on Iron Man. I'm not even going to bother with the other books.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

*bump*
    I mentioned this in the free comic thread, too, but I really gots to recommend Conan: The Frost Giant's Daughter. A great story (Howard-esque) and fantastic art.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

5. Quote Originally Posted by James
    The Grant Morrison Seven Soldiers experiment is coming along nicely, although some series are better than others. Guardian is my favorite of them so far, but with only one issue out I'm reserving judegement.
    I'm loving Klarion and The Guardian books the most but I think all of the Seven Soldiers books are really good and different from each other at the same time. I also like that they share common threads from JLA Classified and Seven Soldiers #0.

Grant is just kicking alot of ass with this epic story all the while making these more obscure heroes kick ass.

The only Ultimate I'm reading is Fantastic Four, which continues to be great. Of course, it's Warren Ellis so that's to be expected, but I'm happy to see he can write the lighter-toned FF as well as the heavier stuff he normally does.
    I still buy all the Ultimate titles but I think Brian K. Vaughn is doing some great stuff with X-Men as well as the usually great Ultimates stuff. I dig Ultimate FF too btw, especially the Negative Zone arc recently going on.

I honestly think Marvel is doing better than ever before. For the really good stuff of each superhero title I recommend:

Astonishing X-Men - I read The Watchmen at the same time as I started reading this and it doesn't read as if it were a step down in kiddy superhero fare as the dialogue and action are very strong with a good amount of surprises thrown in.

Supreme Power - This is what Rising Stars wanted to be. It's a brutal, realistic and gritty take on the Squadron Supreme which has never been done before. A really skewed take on JLA type characters and how they would affect the world and vice versa. If you liked The Watchmen you'll definitely love this. I promise, it's damn good stuff so give JMS a chance.

The first trade is out now, second volume shouldn't be too far now.

Fantastic Four - The Mark Waid, Mike Wieringo stuff is just great. Classic yet new. I think it's one of the best runs of FF alongside the Kirby/Stan, John Byrne stuff.

New Avengers - Ditches the whole traditional lineup and shakes things up with a whole new team and motive. Some of the most interesting characters in the MU are on the team with various reasons to join as well as showing some badass action. I would also recommend reading The Sentry trade paperback before reading NA as things will be much clearer regarding the character although reading the TPB isn't a neccessity.

Daredevil - Not a really traditional superhero'ish take on Daredevil but awesome nonetheless. It's more of a Matt Murdock book with great Daredevil action thrown in. Alex Maleev's art is stylish, gritty and fitting of the mood. His action stuff isn't particularly great but Bendis and him collaborate to make one of the best DD runs in a long time on par with the Miller stuff if not....gasp...better!

He also dumps some of the mystic ninja stuff in favor of a more realistic, pulp'ish stuff. So far the story is in a Decalogue format which shows the year in which DD overthrew The Kingpin and became the Kingpin of Hell's kitchen with different thems running through each chapter and in the vantage point of the normal folk of the hero. Damn good stuff.

Captain America - Ed Brubaker of Gotham Central is making Captain America fucking great. You should still be able to nab all the issues since it was relaunched. It's alot of mystery, action, and some badass WWII stuff along with some interesting historical takes of the war in the MU as well as a running mystery killer named "The Winter Soldier" killing off some important people like The Red Skull and Jack Monroe a.k.a Nomad .

Iron Man you guys might like since Warren Ellis writes some good stuff in there but it's very slow running. It's only up to issue 3. Peter David is back on Hulk, Fabian Nicieza is writing a killer Thunderbolts book, Amazing Spiderman is still kicking ass, Marvel Team-Up is awesome since it usually pairs some of the coolest team-ups of all time, She-Hulk is highly entertaining, superhero'y and fun and GLA (with the same writer as She-Hulk Dan Slott) is good dark comedy with a serious story.
    Last edited by Will; 19 May 2005 at 03:34 AM.

6. I'm already reading Fantastic Four (and very disappointed that the Waid run is over, too), Iron Man, New Avengers, the on-hiatus She Hulk, and GLA. I'd read Daredevil but, much like Ultimate Spider Man, I'm just too far behind to catch up. I hate to say it, but some comic series I know are good I just let slide due either to the reason above or just because I do like to keep the piles down nowadays.

Read any of Ellis' Strange Killings? Well worth a go, brutal and nasty but with a vicious sense of humor hiding behind it all.

And as I probably mentioned before, The Punisher is a complete guilty pleasure. I really shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do, but there's something about watching Nick Fury pull off his belt and use it to face-whip a Pentagon general that doesn't fail to entertain.

James

7. Quote Originally Posted by James
    I'm already reading Fantastic Four (and very disappointed that the Waid run is over, too), Iron Man, New Avengers, the on-hiatus She Hulk, and GLA. I'd read Daredevil but, much like Ultimate Spider Man, I'm just too far behind to catch up. I hate to say it, but some comic series I know are good I just let slide due either to the reason above or just because I do like to keep the piles down nowadays.
    Ah, nice to see another fellow superhero comic fan buying the same books.

With DD, you can easily catch up with the trades after his run is done. it will read beautifully and you'll have his entire run all in neat packages.

Read any of Ellis' Strange Killings? Well worth a go, brutal and nasty but with a vicious sense of humor hiding behind it all.
    Hmm, never read or heard of it actually. What's the premise and how many issues in is it?

And as I probably mentioned before, The Punisher is a complete guilty pleasure. I really shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do, but there's something about watching Nick Fury pull off his belt and use it to face-whip a Pentagon general that doesn't fail to entertain.
    Hah! That happened in a recent Punisher book?

For some reason I haven't been able to obtain Punisher when Ennis restarted the book but he's one of the best Punisher writers around.

8. I've been reading The Flash lately.
    That Rogue War looks to be pretty sweet.
    Johns does good when it comes to heroics.
    And, I have to admit, Captian Cold is a badass.
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird