Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you give up 3d for 2d?

Would you give up 3d for 2d?

The question I'm asking is would you rather gaming continued on a 2d path post-16-bit or just leave it the way it went?

In a perfect world we would have seen a complete co-existence of the two but of course that's just not realistic. Personally, I don't regret the way things are. Sure, they don't make action games like Shinobi 3 anymore but on the other hand, they didn't make games like GTA 3 a decade ago.

I would definitely not give up 3d gaming for another 2d era.

2. ditto

why give up one for the other, if I could have both

3. The only 3D console I ever had real fun with was Dreamcast, and I'm in a 3D and current gaming rut.

so in the words of a man we all know (and love) 2D for ever!

4. If I had to choose between the 2. I'd pick 3D. I like a comprimise though. 2D and 3D both. I would never choose a 2D only universe. I've been there and done that.

ºTracer
    o_O

5. Yep, yep, I'd get rid of 3d in a second, if it meant even a few more 2d games.

6. I love 3D racing games. I love JGR. But I would give up 3D faster than you can say "Z80 processor" if it ment the return and further development of 2D on current hardware. Immages of 480p 2D games with fantastic oil painting parallax laiden foregrounds and backgrounds haunt me. Bring real games back if I could? You betcha'.

7. Originally posted by TracerBullet
    I would never choose a 2D only universe. I've been there and done that.

ºTracer
    Yeah, I've been there and done that with the all 2D universe too, but I've also been there and done that with an all 3D universe. The 2D version was leagues better.

8. I love both of them, they both have thier good points and bad... for example (IMO):

Castlevania is better in 2D then 3D... not many arguements there ^_^

Metal Gear is better in 3D then 2D, this game was made for 3D.

Street Fighter is better in 2D then 3D (period)

Racing games are better in 3D over 2D, any view you want and no fake scrolling effects ^_^

RPG's are both good in 2D and 3D, so not much there for me. I guess I am not so hardcore because of liking them both but I could care less... I play what I like whether it is 2D, 3D, or even those funny Vectrex games

9. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    Yeah, I've been there and done that with the all 2D universe too, but I've also been there and done that with an all 3D universe. The 2D version was leagues better.
    To you it was.

ºTracer
    o_O

Even as a kid I wanted 3d to appear. When I used to play games like After Burner and Space Harrier in the arcades, I would think "why can't they make a Mario-type game in 3d". I wasn't thinking about polygons but I still wished for another dimension.

For me the 3d era has been roughly equal with the 2d era. Zelda OT, Super Mario 64, and Deus Ex are in the upper part of my top 10 games ever.