Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another "Buying a New Computer" thread

1. Yet another "Buying a New Computer" thread

I realize there have been multiple threads of this nature, but they seem to have run their course. And I really need help. My current computer I'll be able to sell for $1500-$1700...so with about half of that, I'm trying to build a decent pc rig. Already have a monitor.

So I've looked at the other threads, and see that I'll need, essentially:

Case (hopefully with fans/power supply built in)
    Motherboard (probably AMD since I hear they're best bang for buck)
    -integrated sound and LAN all right with me
    AMD processor
    RAM (512 at least)
    Hard Drive (faster more important than size, I'm doing all right on a 60GB now)
    DVD/CD burner
    Video Card (certainly a point of debate, people are telling me to go nVidia for better driver support)

I'm browsing NewEgg, and it's hopelessly confusing at first. I need to find out which parts go best with what, and if there's additional hardware I'll need for assembly. Links to NewEgg would be great, and seems like how it's been done in the past. I'd prefer not to do any soldering.

And while this may seem noobish, I'm going to build it myself for cost, and to learn how. Co-workers are going to help me build it so hopefully I won't be burning anything out or missing any wires. Thanks for your help.

2. AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor Skt 754 & MSI K8N Neo Platinum nForce3 250Gb Athlon 64 Skt754 Motherboard Retail Bundle ***Free 2nd Day***

NEC ND-3500A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Bare Drive (Beige) ***Free 2nd Day***

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer *** Free 2nd Day ***

GeIL GE5123200BDC 512MB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel Value Series Memory Retail ***Free 2nd Day***

2x87.00=174.00

Antec Sonata Quiet Mid Tower Case (Piano Black) Retail
    w/380W Power Supply

684.00 + ship at Googlegear (NewEgg is down)...just buy a video card
    The NForce3 250gb has built in 10/100 and above average (about Audigy 1 level) sound

If you want, get a Socket 939 A64, which is what I would recommend (costs more, better overclocking potential though). The bundle at GG is backordered and is 50 bucks more.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 29 Dec 2004 at 10:34 PM.

3. Why are you selling a computer that'll net you $1500 if you don't mind me asking?

4. Because it's an Apple laptop. It's usefulness as a laptop fizzled when I graduated, it doesn't play games well (even the games that are on it), and I could use the extra money. Might as well sell it before it depreciates too much (I bought it with a big discount for $2500, but Apple's keep their value longer). I'll admit, OSX Panther is a great OS, and the overall experience definitely better than any windows computer I bought, but general computer use is the same on either one.

Joust: Thanks alot. I'll check those out.

5. ahhww... the sonata..

I just installed mine, using it now!
    Its quiet, but my CPU fan is killer loud so its still louder, quieter then the last case, not whisper quiet..
    and the rubber gromets for the HD muffle the noise, and make it sound like it growlling at me whenever i make it work ahahahahaha..

My quiet black box is a mean one..
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

6. Antec SLK1650 350W Case
    Great build quality, includes 120mm fan, rubber drive mounts and a quality PSU. You may need more power depending on what the final system looks like.

nForce3 S939 Motherboard
    Socket 939 will be around for awhile and the nForce3 chipset is great for gaming systems. I've heard good things about MSI's board.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ S939 Processor
    Excellent performance and overclocks like a dream.

2x512MB Corsair Value DDR400 RAM
    You'll want a gig of RAM for new games, Corsair is probobally the most reliable brand out there. Don't bother with XMS crap, it's a waste of money.

GeForce 6600 GT Video
    The 6600 GT is considered the best bang for the buck right now, XFX has an inexpensive AGP card that's worth a look.

36GB Western Digital Raptor HDD
    If you want speed this is the way to go, you can get one twice the size as well. You could also use one of these for the OS and programs while using a big Seagate drive for storage.

7. After doing some research and listening to you guys, I've come up with something like this. It still seems like I'm paying quite a bit for less than top-of-the line stuff. Please let me know if everything I have here goes together or could be improved.

Also, a few questions. Socket 754 vs 939? Would it be worth getting a board with PCIe? Is nVidia the way to go, everyone and their mom has a 9800 this-or-that? Is 350W too low?

Antec Beige ATX Mini Tower PC Case with 350W Power Supply, Model "SLK1650" -RETAIL
    NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Beige, Model ND-3520A, OEM
    Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only
    Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM
    MSI nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8N Neo Platinum" (MS-7030) -RETAIL
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - OEM
    XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, Dual DVI, AGP 8X, Model "PVT43AND" -RETAIL

Total 812.99 + shipping

8. Go PCI-e.
    It's better than AGP, and in Europe, 6600GTs on PCI-e support are about $30-50 cheaper. The graphics card you got there seems kind of pricey for the US to say its not even a top brand like gigabyte.
    I would have got one, but I only got AGP on my motherboard.

6600GT>9800 pro

9. What's a good motherboard to go with for PCIe?

10. Now that Newegg has NForce 4 boards out (with PCI-E), I'd go that way.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...152-049&depa=1

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...128-268&depa=1

149.00 (I'd recommend this one, their products are superior usually

Socket 939 is better. Smaller core, so overclocking potential is better and it'll get higher rated CPUs than the old core.