Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AGP Slots for Graphics Cards

1. AGP Slots for Graphics Cards

I went out and bought a graphics card for my computer. I believe I bought one that needs an AGP slot, rather than just PCI. I don't know anything about graphics cards or the new-fangled slots.

My $400 Dell PC was purchased this past summer. I just went to the Dell site, and it looks like even the cheapest computers have AGP slots. Are AGP slots a standard these days, even on the cheapest computers? I don't want to open the box if it's not going to work.
    No gnus is good gnus.

Open your PC and look. It's right there.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Alot of the cheaper HP computers do NOT have AGP slots (I learned this when I bought a 120 dollar AGP video card, that would not work in my "new" HP computer).

Usually, if a computer has AGP, it will say so. If nothing is said, then assume it is PCI only.

4. AGP is the standard (and has been for like 5 or 10 years now), but not all companies follow the standard (such as hp mentioned above.) The hot new ticket is PCI-e though, but you're only going to find that on higher-end stuff right now.

5. Just open your computer an have a look, it should be brown and smaller than the PCI slots.

6. lol @ the fact he took the time to post this before looking.

7. I'm sure that Dell came with an integrated graphics chip set, much like an HP computer. Meaning that you probably have a computer with 3 PCI slots and no AGP. That's why your computer is only $400.

Yeah, just look inside. If you have no AGP slot, take the card back and tell them you need a PCI. I'm sure it happens to them every day just like it happens to me where I work. Of course, this is the reason places like CompUSA charge you a restocking fee if it's opened...
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I'm sure that Dell came with an integrated graphics chip set, much like an HP computer. Meaning that you probably have a computer with 3 PCI slots and no AGP. That's why your computer is only $400.
    This is truth, and what you get for buying a cheap PC.

PC < 500 = No AGP.
    PC > 500, < 800 = AGP, 2 RAM slots.
    PC > 800 = AGP, more than 2 RAM slots.

AGP vs. PCI
    Last edited by Mike; 31 Dec 2004 at 02:03 PM.

10. Yup, I wanted to get my little bro to stop playing CS on my comp all the time a few years back so I went and bought him an AGP card. His eMachine said AGP graphics on the front. I open the case and find that, yes, it does have AGP graphics, but they are integrated (AGP standard is used, but no slot for expansion is given). Swapped it for PCI, and although this sucks if you game, it will be decidedly better than the integrated bullshit.