Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Ghibli

1. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl20
    This is the worst anime I have ever seen. God, it was so fucking boring.
    yeah! there wasn't one ^_^; face in the whole thing and the animation was too nice!

I want my cute-messy kawai girl who eats alot!

</SARCASM>

2. Quote Originally Posted by arjue
    yeah! there wasn't one ^_^; face in the whole thing and the animation was too nice!

I want my cute-messy kawai girl who eats alot and gets tentacle raped!

</SARCASM>
    Fixed.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

3. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    oh god, i completely forgot about that film. all i've seen of it is a 15 second teaser. what's the critical/fan reaction?

1.1 million tickets and 1.4 billion yen ($13.5 mil) was the opening, breaking Japanese records, they say. And at 12.31 it was #1 in Japan and Korea.

4. Apparently, Diana Wynne Jones (the writer of the movies subject matter) was visibly moved and happy with the screening of the film, regardless of the fact that Ghibli was fairly "liberal" in making changes to her orginal story. Which is a very good sign IMHO
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

5. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    and that's great news about the new ghibli releases. are all 3 films worth picking up? i haven't been disappointed by the existing DVDs, so here's hoping.
    Yes.

Nausicaa is perhaps one of the greatest films ever made. (OK, so don't ask why I prefer I Can Hear the Sea over the rest... I don't know.) And the dub has Patrick Stewart as Lord Yupa. Can't go wrong there.

Porco Rosso, while reportedly regarded by Miyazaki as one of his weaker films, is quite a good movie. The Adriatic Sea setting gives it a great deal of charm and atmosphere some of the other Ghibli films don't have. And the dub has Michael Keaton as Porco. Can't go wrong there.

The Cat Returns is also very good -- a classic, yes, but not on the level of the film that spawned it (Whisper of the Heart) or some of the other Ghibli movies. Still worth buying sight-unseen, though. And the dub has... Tim Curry?! Crazy.

You should pre-order all 3 now. Or maybe a little closer to their release date.

6. Miyazakis stuff is all pretty much perfect in the Gihbli house, the other guys are good but not the same level as Miyazaki. I can't remeber if Miyazaki did Tanuki Wars, but its extremely entertaining/weird/feels long. Never did I think I would see a pack of Racoons with testicles the size of volkswagons diving from treetops, but in this movie you do.

And when it comes to the best for me its either Spirited Away, Mononoke, or Nausicca. Probably Mononoke though.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

7. Isn't Ghilbi partially owned by Disney?

8. Nope. 100% by Tokuma Shoten, I think.

http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki/ghibli/....html#alliance

On a side note: Today (Jan 5) is Miyazaki's birthday! He is 64 years old.

9. Quote Originally Posted by arjue

I want my cute-messy kawai girl who eats alot!

</SARCASM>
    Out of the MANY animes I have seen, many without cute-messy kawai girls, (some with tentacles), it is the most boring one. The animation was good, but it was marred by a shitty DVD transfer. The story was lame.

10. Quote Originally Posted by toby
    Isn't Ghilbi partially owned by Disney?
    God, this kid doesn't know anything about anything.

Disney brought the movies over here similar to the way Atlus brought over Disgaea. Does Atlus own part of Nippin Ichi? No, they just made a deal to do buisness with them. Disney does not own Ghibli, at all.