Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Studio Ghibli

1. 1) Wings of Honnemaise IS boring. But that lift off scene is beautiful. And there is a near rape scene, tho no tentacles were involved.

2) I Can Hear The Sea is soooo good. I really enjoy anime like this.

3) Whisper of the Heart is my favorite Miyazaki film and I can't believe they're bringing that 2nd rate Cat Returns out before the original beautiful gem.

4) Pom Poko rocks because it has Super Tanuki Testicular Action in it. I wonder if that one will ever see the light of day here... But seriously, it's one of my favorite Ghibli movies, badger balls and all.
    Last edited by Scourge; 06 Jan 2005 at 03:13 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque
    God, this kid doesn't know anything about anything.

Disney brought the movies over here similar to the way Atlus brought over Disgaea. Does Atlus own part of Nippin Ichi? No, they just made a deal to do buisness with them. Disney does not own Ghibli, at all.
    What is your deal. I made a mistake. I thought Disney partially owned the company since they bring them out here. Is that so crazy to think a company like DIsney couldn't own them.

Go away?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    3) Whisper of the Heart is my favorite Miyazaki film and I can't believe they're bringing that 2nd rate Cat Returns out before the original beautiful gem.
    If Whisper of the Heart is your favorite Miyazaki film you might be interested to know that it's actually directed by Yoshifumi Kondo. Miyazaki wrote for it just like everything else Ghibli has done, but it's style is a direct result of Kondo.

I actually resurrected this thread because I just watched both of those movies and they're incredible, but I especially liked Cat Returns because of the comedy and it's execution; right when the Cat secret service threw a stray into a bush I was already in love.
    Last edited by Opaque; 29 Dec 2007 at 04:49 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    If Whisper of the Heart is your favorite Miyazaki film you might be interested to know that it's actually directed by Yoshifumi Kondo. Miyazaki wrote for it just like everything else Ghibli has done, but it's style is a direct result of Kondo.

I actually resurrected this thread because I just watched both of those movies and they're incredible, but I especially liked Cat Returns because of the comedy and it's execution; right when the Cat secret service threw a stray into a bush I was already in love.

Regardless, Whisper of the Heart is my favorite Ghibli film. That's what I meant. And The Cat Returns is still 2nd rate comparatively, albeit still good.

6. Everytime I go to Chinatown, I pass by a HUGE box set of Ghibli movies. I know it's not legit, but I'm damn curious. Pirate VCDs, I'm guessing.

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Everytime I go to Chinatown, I pass by a HUGE box set of Ghibli movies. I know it's not legit, but I'm damn curious. Pirate VCDs, I'm guessing.
    Actually, if it's the same one I bought years ago, they're DVD-9's ripped from the laserdiscs. Pretty good quality. But why bother when you can pick up the majority of their stuff legit now? What you can't get legit, you can buy separately non-legit.

8. HMM.

9. I love these movies. Bought all of the US R1 versions on release day each time.

in R1 (i think this is all of them so far)

Princess Mononoke
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Cat Returns
    Pom Poko
    Porco Rosso
    Spirited Away
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Nausicaa
    Castle in teh Sky
    Whispers of the Heart
    Howls Moving Castle
    My Neighbor Totoro
    My Neighbors the Yamadas
    Lupin III - The Castle of Cagliostro

Only one I havent watched is Whispers, so Ill get right on that

If you want to get a bunch of them all at once, Borders has an exclusive boxset (Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Totoro, Kiki, Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl):

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

once in awhile, borders will have a 40% off box sets coupon which works on this set too

only difference in this set and the normal releases is they dont have slipcases, but most of the slipcase versions are sold out most places anyways