Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Ghibli

1. Studio Ghibli

Okay, I'm late to this party, but it seems there's still a lot of hussies and alcohol for me to enjoy.

I can remember watching Porko Rosso on Australian government TV when I was really young, but I really didn't comprehend or like it; friends in university spoke of the wonders of Hayao Miyazaki, but I really never listened.

But then I watched Spirited Away... I was dumbstruck... no movie had such an impact on me since Cinema Paradiso; It was the best piece of anime I had ever seen. It made the stupid pseudo-intellectual bullshit of Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion look like the shit it is. So because of this, I finally watched Princess Mononoke, and now I believe I want to see every Ghibli film ever made.

So I was wondering if anyone and everyone could post any impressions or recommendations of Studio Ghibli films? Thank You
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

2. Porco Rosso is the best one IMO. The fight on the planes = best piece of anime ever.

3. you should see kiki's delivery service. oddly, it's one of the very few films i've ever seen that has no antagonist. wonderful movie.

in related news, have any other ghibli DVDs been released in america aside from kiki's delivery service, spirited away, castle in the sky, princess mononoke and the castle of cagliostro?
    Last edited by epmode; 02 Jan 2005 at 12:13 PM.

I think Wings of Honnemaise was a Ghibli film.

I'm too lazy to look it up though.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I think Wings of Honnemaise was a Ghibli film.

I'm too lazy to look it up though.
    Nope. Gainax.

Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    in related news, have any other ghibli DVDs been released in america aside from kiki's delivery service, spirited away, castle in the sky, princess mononoke and the castle of cagliostro?
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns are headed to DVD on February 11.

Doing The Cat Returns before Whisper of the Heart is kind of weird, but it can stand alone. They had originally planned for Totoro, but I guess they want to wait until Fox's Totoro dub stock is out of the market.

6. Is Howl's Moving Castle coming to theaters stateside, or is it a direct to DVD release?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Wings of Honnemaise
    This is the worst anime I have ever seen. God, it was so fucking boring.

8. My favorite Ghibli film was Laputa (Castle in the Sky) easily.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    My favorite Ghibli film was Laputa (Castle in the Sky) easily.
    Mine's I Can Hear the Sea / Ocean Waves. Non-Miyazaki, actually.

TrialSword: It should be. It just came out in Japan, so it will take a bit to reach us.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    TrialSword: It should be. It just came out in Japan, so it will take a bit to reach us.
    oh god, i completely forgot about that film. all i've seen of it is a 15 second teaser. what's the critical/fan reaction?

and that's great news about the new ghibli releases. are all 3 films worth picking up? i haven't been disappointed by the existing DVDs, so here's hoping.