Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3567

Thread: Celebrate 2000-2004.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Salsashark
    How are the liner notes to Acre Thrills illuminating (I haven't seen them)?
    Semi-detailed notes on all of the songs. (pic is blurry)

Daydream Nation is the only Sonic Youth I need. I'm not really a fan of the band, just that album. I think you have to be a diehard fan to appreciate their newest material. Without an attachment to the people behind the music it's just pretty boring.

2. Sonic Youth has too much "history", its basically listen to Daydream Nation and then take a risk with any of their other albums. Because it seems like every album according to some outfit was a major important release to whatever time in music it was released. Wether it be the 80's, No Wave, Grunge, Noise, whatever.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

3. Ok let's do this again.

What are the best albums of the early 2010's?

I feel the music this decade far surpasses the pervious decade, a boring period stunned by five previous decades of stage setting music, bookended by stock market crashes and ironically filled with wars and hubris. And, here we are halfway through this decade. If you are an American liberal that means hope and pride -- an African-American elected president, marijuana legalization in two states, both oil demand and prices are down while supply is up, Wall Street is up, the GDP is up, and with all that in the backdrop... the arts this decade have flourished.

So, here are my favorite albums of the first half of the decade.

10) Hanna Barbarians - syzygy 2011 -- this is a local and personal choice, but it is a solid original tribute to the psychedelic sixties and it is the album which got me into the local music scene
    9) Das Racist - Sit Down, Man 2010 -- a hip hop act which takes a nerd approach to offensive comedy, every word they spit is like butter to my bread
    8) Iron Chic - Not Like This 2010 -- (another self-indulgent hipster pick) this sing-a-long bro-rock cheers songs of second guessing in a sincerely optimistic break-neck pace which is sure to get the most cynical asshat pounding their feet to the floor
    7) Modern Baseball - Sports 2012 -- these guys are better than Weezer, sorry nineties
    6) Chromeo - Business Casual 2010 -- 80's glamour dance, but it's today and they're French Canadian. It's classy.
    5) FIDLAR - self-titled 2013 -- fast & loud surf rock about drugs and youth ...it's like a young AC/DC on the beach
    4) Chvrches -The Bones of What You Believe 2013 -- holy shit I love this new-wave meets house-dance group! catchy and melodic, musically this is everything pop should be with just enough sorrow to make it art
    3) Against Me - Transgender Dysphoria Blues 2014 -- another incredible album, the title alone is perfect as who could know the blues as the transgendered? And the delivery is solid, a band which has been together long enough to rock crafted hooks and lyrics which better relate the struggle of gender identity more than any piece of art or journalism has before. It is an amazing look into one artist and those who share her story.
    2) Lorde - Pure Heroine 2013 -- this pop alum took be by surprise so much I listed it number two. Although, not the artistic sough of struggle Dysphoria is, Heroine is just as much culturally relevant. With surprising maturity and sardonicism, a teen pop alum mocks teen pop and the western obsession with riches and fame. Lorde is the antithesis of everything wrong with western culture today and I love it!
    1) Die Antwoord - Ten$ion 2012 - Die Antwoord is the Antwoord to the above problem, if that answer is to openly mock it. Trashy, offensive, and allegedly sincere, these South Americans are taking a piss out of everything American lo-culture thought it was. Of all the albums I listed, this is the most new and defining. Sadly, I think the music on this one is shit. Kala did it better. Luckily they make up for it in substance and visuals with a dash of 4chan.

There are mine. What are yours?

http://dasracist.bandcamp.com/track/...y-z-prod-sabzi
    02. all tan everything (ft. jay-z) [prod. sabzi], by Das Racist
    from the album Sit Down, Man
    dasracist.bandcamp.com
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt