Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed on HDTV gaming

1. advice needed on HDTV gaming

i just bought a Sony WEGA KLV-23M1, a 23 inch LCD HDTV. gorgeous picture quality, especially after switching from my old piece of shit television.

the problem is gaming, of course. i can see the ghosting effect in several games. i'm not sure if it's irritating enough to make me return the set, but i certainly didn't expect it to be so noticible.

i have 30 days to return it, so i'm asking you guys for advice. what is the best HDTV for gaming and and DVD playback combined? i don't want to spend more than $1500, but i could go to $2000 if it's *really* worth it. i'd like to avoid CRT displays because they're so damn big, but if that's my only option, so be it.
    Last edited by epmode; 04 Jan 2005 at 03:19 PM.

2. I have no problems with my games on my HDTV. I got a Samsung 42" DLP though. No ghosting problems at all. Though, the tv makes everything that doesnt support High Def look WORSE than a normal tv looked. PS2 gaming makes me sad.

So maybe thats your problem, its not your tv. So basically everything that doesnt support High Def will look like total ass on your sweet new tv.
    Last edited by SamuraiMoogle; 04 Jan 2005 at 08:31 PM.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

3. Does this problem occur, when your playing games that aren't progressive scan? If so, it's because your television has to double the lines of resolution to accomodate the lower res graphics. Digital cable looks blurry on my set, because of this as well.

4. From what I have seen/read, a good CRT display is still better than any Plasma or LCD.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Does this problem occur, when your playing games that aren't progressive scan?
    hmm. i didn't notice any ghosting with f-zero gx, but it was plain as day with mgs 3, so maybe you're onto something. i'll try playing some more progressive enabled games to see if that's the big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 007bond
    From what I have seen/read, a good CRT display is still better than any Plasma or LCD.
    then you must be looking at different televisions than me.. the best buy CRTs look comparatively muted/dull to the LCDs, but that may be because they aren't configured properly. the other problem is that a 23 inch CRT weighs ~200 pounds and comes in a pony-sized box.

6. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    hmm. i didn't notice any ghosting with f-zero gx, but it was plain as day with mgs 3, so maybe you're onto something. i'll try playing some more progressive enabled games to see if that's the big difference.

then you must be looking at different televisions than me.. the best buy CRTs look comparatively muted/dull to the LCDs, but that may be because they aren't configured properly. the other problem is that a 23 inch CRT weighs ~200 pounds and comes in a pony-sized box.

Dont you have your Xbox hooked up through componet?? If not you NEED to go buy the cables for $20, its night and fucking day.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    Most flat panel TV's come calibrated horribly bright so that they draw attention and can be seen well under the bright lights of the showroom floor. CRT's are considered by the video community as being the most accurate, especially in the blacks, which competing flat panel technologies can't touch. If space is an issue though...

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMoogle
    Dont you have your Xbox hooked up through componet?? If not you NEED to go buy the cables for $20, its night and fucking day.
    This is true.

8. Quote Originally Posted by epmode

My Sony KV-32HS420 weights 128 pounds. Sure it's heavy, but I have no complaints about the picture quality. I'd rather pay the $1000 for it, over $1500 + for a equal sized plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    My Sony KV-32HS420 weights 128 pounds. Sure it's heavy, but I have no complaints about the picture quality. I'd rather pay the $1000 for it, over $1500 + for a equal sized plasma.
    Good choice, you paid less, it weighs more (who cares, I don't take my TV anywhere, so I've carried it once" and the pic quality is better. All the plasma's I've seen look very washed-out, like an old CRT computer monitor that has reached it's half-life, and all the other tech's like LCD and, especially, DLP, don't look nearly as good as CRT. Interestingly, as I write this post, my 18" LCD flat panel monitor is losing it's vertical sync on one of the RGB colors, so I will, once again, have to take it apart and fix the shotty Gateway construction.

10. you win. i'm returning the lcd set and picking up the KV-32HS420. oddly enough, right before leaving the store, i wound up exchanging that very model for my lcd because i decided that it was just too damn big. this time, i'll keep it.