Thread: Any PSP owners playing Lumines?

1. Any PSP owners playing Lumines?

What's your take on the game, specifically Challenge mode? I'm interested in feedback from seasoned puzzle gamers on how this game stacks up against titles in the same genre.

Myself, I don't think this game was designed for hardcore play in mind. It's not that hard to score a million points in Challenge (at least one gamer in Japan scored that high, and I've reached the 400,000 mark in less than a month of playtime), yet the points counter apparently doesn't go beyond 999,999.

There are opportunities for advanced techniques (like using the same special block over and over for clearing same color blocks, by connecting the block exactly after the timeline passes the special block-- Lumines players should understand what I'm talking about), but I don't think the developers anticipated players breaking the game so easily and so soon.

Anyway, if there are enough posters with a PSP/playing the game, I'd like to start a thread in Score Attack.
    Last edited by Taito; 07 Jan 2005 at 11:42 AM.

2. *patiently waits for USA release*

3. I don't own a PSP but I played a friend's Lumines for about 20 minutes.

My impressions are thus:

The music totally rocks the house. And it's like Rez in that a lot of different things you do have an audio effect - rotate a block, clear a block, etc. Time them to the beat if you'd like. You generally have the freedom to since the pace is on the leisurely side. At least to start.

As a puzzle game though... I found it very limiting. It does not have very much depth as far as I can tell. Since your blocks only clear when the sweeping "measure" indicator goes by, there are two effects: 1) Very limited timeframe to create a combo. and 2) Lack of chaining, since when the non-cleared blocks fall, they fall too late and must wait for the next sweep.

I know there is that random special block that has some technique you can play with to clear masses of blocks, but I did not quite understand how to use it. One time, I cleared almost the entire screen. The other time, it barely did anything.

Obviously my experience with the game is limited. But I have the same feeling I did as I played Rez. Nice polished music-fusion game with some neat audio to boot. But when looking at the game purely in its respective genre, it's purely average if even that. Rez as an on-rails game is poor, when you can just play Panzer Dragoon. Lumines as a puzzle game is poor, when you can just play Puyo Puyo.

But taken as it is, you can still have fun with it. Just don't expect it to play all that deep and you'll be fine.