Page 4 of 207 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 4

1. I wonder where they are going with the story for this series. Are they going to continue with Raiden and make him badass or will Snake turn into another Big Boss and work independently for a different cause? Or will the face of the Patriots show themselves and be more direct and less behind the scenes?

Alot of you guys didn't like Raiden (or downright hate him) but I liked his perspective and the world around him. He was manipulated just like Big Boss in MGS3 and Solid Snake in MGS: Twin Snakes but for a more complex and weird goal.

I dunno I guess playing so much MGS games got me really excited after MGS3 but I'm really interested in the direction of the series and what other elemnts they'll bring to it.

BTW the guy who did Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner was awesome. He made the story/scenarios pretty cool in ways I didn't think it would with just an action game with a robot and he brought a real cool sense of style to the game.
    Last edited by Will; 03 Feb 2005 at 10:48 PM.

2. I think it'll be a card battler, after the inevitable success of MGA.

3. I honestly didn't have a problem with Raiden...

4. He was an okay character (he's no Snake, that's for sure) who got stucked with a crappy voice actor (the Japanese Raiden sounded 1000% better). It's Rosemary who was the real bitch. I wished there was an alternate ending in MGS2 (just like in the first one) where Rosemary gets killed off.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    I think it'll be a card battler, after the inevitable success of MGA.
    Haha, riiiiight.

The premise of MGA isn't too hot other than that playable chick character. It seems more like another VR training mission scenario or side story than to further develop the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    I honestly didn't have a problem with Raiden...
    Really? Interesting, what did you think of him beyond the whole mis-direction thing Kojima did with MGS2? He kind of seems like the rookie who did good despite the fact that all the shit he was put through wasn't exactly going down the way he was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Undaunted
    He was an okay character (he's no Snake, that's for sure) who got stucked with a crappy voice actor (the Japanese Raiden sounded 1000% better).
    Nah I thought his voice was fine and fitting. A young whipper snappper really but like what diffusionx says I'd rather listen to the dude I understand the the one I don't. I guess you like the Japanese voice actor's tone better but sometimes I find them a bit too over the top and serious, I can't imagine anyone else doing Snake's voice other than David Hayter.

MGS2 is Raiden's first real serious mission whereas Snake has had alot of experience under his belt with his older games before Metal Gear Solid so there's that difference between them that I like.

It's Rosemary who was the real bitch. I wished there was an alternate ending in MGS2 (just like in the first one) where Rosemary gets killed off.
    Yeah I wasn't a fan of her at all. She's bitchy and she definitely should have been killed off. Him continuing to do missions after the MGS2 will be hard to try to work out unless they have her killed before MGS4 (which I would be happy about) in a sort of prologue story. That should harden him at least some.

Imagine Raiden talking to his kid about doing just one mission before retiring
    Last edited by Will; 03 Feb 2005 at 11:13 PM.

6. If they got rid of 98% of the codec communication, the series would be fucking awesome.
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by johnk_
    If they got rid of 98% of the codec communication, the series would be fucking awesome.
    No, you see..Then it would be garbage.

The MGS series is about a style. That style needs those Codec sequences.
    Time for a change

8. Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Nah I thought his voice was fine and fitting. A young whipper snappper really but like what diffusionx says I'd rather listen to the dude I understand the the one I don't. I guess you like the Japanese voice actor's tone better but sometimes I find them a bit too over the top and serious, I can't imagine anyone else doing Snake's voice other than David Hayter.

MGS2 is Raiden's first real serious mission whereas Snake has had alot of experience under his belt with his older games before Metal Gear Solid so there's that difference between them that I like.
    The problem I have with the American Raiden is the fact that he sounded like he just hit puberty. It does not fit someone who belongs in a special forces unit (and has a dark past as a child soldier), even with the lack of experience (Kojima always intended Raiden to have a deep voice). They shouldn't have gotten the Jonny Quest guy (Quinton Flynn) to do his voice. IMHO, Paul Haddad did the whole inexperienced rookie better in Resident Evil 2.

Incidentally, the Japanese Snake (Akio Otsuka) is actually the Japanese dub of Mel Gibson (which is even more fitting when you consider Snake's design in Metal Gear 2), while the Japanese Raiden (Kenyu Horiuchi) is the Japanese dub of Brad Pitt.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of her at all. She's bitchy and she definitely should have been killed off. Him continuing to do missions after the MGS2 will be hard to try to work out unless they have her killed before MGS4 (which I would be happy about) in a sort of prologue story. That should harden him at least some.

Imagine Raiden talking to his kid about doing just one mission before retiring
    The thing I hated the most about Rosemary is not just the fact that she constantly whine about her relationship with Raiden during an important mission, it's the fact that she's completely uninterested in the events surrounding her.

Rosemary: "JACK, YOU NEVER LET ME INTO YOUR ROOM!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111"

Jack: "Uh, the President was just killed by a Russian cowboy."

9. The whole Raiden thing would have been fine if it wasn't for rosemary. Being Raiden didn't detract from the gameplay. in fact, playing alongside snake was cool. Being raiden for most of the game was the biggest plot twist in videogame history and i think MGS2 is looked down upon for something that was revolutionary. No one saw that coming, though they should have left it out of the manual.

despite all that, mgs4 is my most wanted game even if kojima is only producing it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Undaunted
    The problem I have with the American Raiden is the fact that he sounded like he just hit puberty. It does not fit someone who belongs in a special forces unit (and has a dark past as a child soldier), even with the lack of experience (Kojima always intended Raiden to have a deep voice). They shouldn't have gotten the Jonny Quest guy (Quinton Flynn) to do his voice. IMHO, Paul Haddad did the whole inexperienced rookie better in Resident Evil 2.
    So it was the Johnny Quest guy huh? No wonder he sounded somewhat familiar. Still I didn't really mind that he didn't sound gruff as well, Snake already has that base covered. Quinton did a good job in emulating Hayter's Snake voice at the beginning of the game when Raiden was underwater swimming towards the base. That was phase 2 of "Operation fool everyone".

At least he's not as grating as Liquid Snake's voice actor Cam Clarke

Incidentally, the Japanese Snake (Akio Otsuka) is actually the Japanese dub of Mel Gibson (which is even more fitting when you consider Snake's design in Metal Gear 2), while the Japanese Raiden (Kenyu Horiuchi) is the Japanese dub of Brad Pitt.
    Heh, but then again Big Boss was also Sean Connery Those are some interesting analogues for the Japanese sound alikes.

The thing I hated the most about Rosemary is not just the fact that she constantly whine about her relationship with Raiden during an important mission, it's the fact that she's completely uninterested in the events surrounding her.

Rosemary: "JACK, YOU NEVER LET ME INTO YOUR ROOM!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111"

Jack: "Uh, the President was just killed by a Russian cowboy."
    Heheh yeah.

Raiden also needs to work out more to get rid of that girly hourglass figure especially in that suit he wore or at least make his character model a bit less sissy looking.

I forget what happened since I haven't played it in a while but where did Snake end up at the end of MGS2 after helping Raiden get his gear back in that drainage system and helping out in that gunfight? All I remember is the Raiden stuff from then on like arriving in Manhattan, the Metal Gear Ray fight and the Solidus Snake fight. He probably went to join up with Otacon again for future adventures but I'd rather he either get away from Otacon or they pair him up with another tech guy with less issues. That Emma/step-mom thing was pretty gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinopio
    The whole Raiden thing would have been fine if it wasn't for rosemary. Being Raiden didn't detract from the gameplay. in fact, playing alongside snake was cool. Being raiden for most of the game was the biggest plot twist in videogame history and i think MGS2 is looked down upon for something that was revolutionary. No one saw that coming, though they should have left it out of the manual.

despite all that, mgs4 is my most wanted game even if kojima is only producing it.
    MGS2 is definitely the king of misdirection. Everyone really just wanted to play Snake in that awesome intro level with the tanker but I'm satisfied to be able to play another character in the Metal Gear series. If anything, like many people said before, it made Solid Snake to look even MORE badass by comparison and completely capable.

I don't want to see anymore Ocelot stuff after 3. He's too heavily involved in the series and he's just an old dude who's lost his fighting edge but I have a feeling that we'll see him again. It would be also cool if there were an innovative way of putting in co-op play or playing as a new Foxhound unit team member to be double crossed by Solid Snake or something along those lines to keep things interesting.

Nay on the taking out the codec stuff, they are still a very cool way of communication in the MGS games, I'd just keept it short and sweet unless used to do a special development.
    Last edited by Will; 04 Feb 2005 at 02:05 AM.