Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quantum Conundrum (Steam now, PSN 7/10, XBLA 7/11)

Quantum Conundrum (Steam now, PSN 7/10, XBLA 7/11)

When you, as a young boy, are dropped off to visit your uncle, you notice something’s wrong. First, he’s not there to greet you. Second, there’s the explosion that happened right as you arrived. And third, the house seems to be even weirder than you remembered it. Now, your job is to find—and ultimately rescue—your uncle, by using his newest invention, the Interdimensional Shift Device (or IDS), to switch between dimensions and solve puzzles. That sofa too heavy to move? There’s a dimension for that! Switch to Fluffy Dimension and that sofa is now light as a feather. Need to get up to a high ledge? There’s a dimension for that! Just switch to Anti-Gravity Dimension and things begin to float upward. Need to make things heavier? There’s a dimension for th—well, you get the idea. Switch dimensions in real time, work your way through the crazy complex mansion wings and rescue your uncle!
    The main claim to fame of this game is that it's headed up by Kim Swift, who was the lead designer of the original Portal before leaving Valve for Airtight Games.

I know some of you assholes are playing this, I can see it on Steam. Impressions, thoughts? I might buy it today, been putting it off for no real reason.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Looks interesting. The reviews seem positive, if not glowingly so.

3. I've been busy with Gray Matter so I haven't put in much time. I was surprised to see how similar everything is to Portal, except with semi-shit writing. If you can get over that, the puzzle mechanics seem good. I have no idea if the quality is consistent though.

The main complaints I've been hearing are all story related, which is a shame because the puzzles sound pretty much great. Fuck it, I'm buying it.
    My Backloggery

5. Kim Swift came up with the portal mechanic, but all the good shit in Portal (art style, writing, etc.) was other people.

Fuck Kim Swift

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Fuck Kim Swift
    I want to pinch her chubby cheeks.
    My Backloggery

7. You probably shouldn't buy anything on Steam right now btw. Summer Sale is like days away.

Although this game just came out - so it's probably safe.

I don't want to rescue my uncle. That dick toucher deserves whatever cruel fate he gets.

9. I'm having a hard time making an opinion on this. On the one hand, it's got some good puzzles, and I actually enjoy the uncle's grumpy attitude. There's fun details here and there, like with the paintings and the way they change from dimension to dimension, but the heavy reliance on jumping puzzles is beginning to get to me.

I fully cleared the blue wing of the mansion last night, getting the Fluffy and Heavy dimensions. I'd like to be more enthusiastic but so far, I don't see myself ever thinking about this game again after completing it.

James

Definitely feels like Portal. You had to jump a good amount in that game as well. The conveyor belt jump gauntlet at the end of the blue wing surprised me. I mean, I did it right away because I don't suck, but it felt like a big bump in the difficulty up to that point.
    My Backloggery