Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: EA buys exclusive rights to arena football.

1. EA buys exclusive rights to arena football.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050110/105224_1.html

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 10, 2005--The Arena Football League and Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS - News) have entered into an exclusive agreement to produce an AFL video game in time for the start of the 2006 AFL season that also allows EA to share in the proceeds of future expansion team sales. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    "Once again, we are partnering with an industry leader who believes in the AFL philosophy and its growth potential. To the extent that EA helps grow the AFL, they participate in that growth through the increased value of future expansion teams," said Commissioner David Baker. "EA is the videogame industry's gold standard. Arguably, nothing is more important to reach the younger male demographic that we are so strong in than video games. For our core fan, this is akin to a network-television agreement."

Over the next four years and beginning with the 2005 AFL season, EA will partner with the AFL on media and retail marketing, and produce AFL games, the first to be available to consumers at the start of the 2006 AFL season.

"We believe that the business model the AFL has created will provide for a new football experience for videogame fans, and provide EA with an incentive to partner with the AFL to expand the league," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of EA. "The AFL is a unique brand of football and we intend to deliver a unique football gaming experience from any the industry has seen before. We're pleased to be working with the league during this exciting growth-period for the AFL."
    lol.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. "I'd buy that for a dollar"

aparently, so did EA...

seriously, I though this was a joke thread when I read the title..
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

"EA is the videogame industry's gold standard."
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

4. Is it April already?

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    "EA is the videogame industry's gold standard."
    I guess I only buy platinum then.

6. I yawn at all EA related threads from this point on.

Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru
    I yawn at all EA related threads from this point on.
    I prefer using a different orifice on them.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    I guess I only buy platinum then.
    Haha.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

This sounds like not only is EA making games but that they have a stake in the AFL league itself.

10. What is this AFL? Is it anything like the XFL?