Thread: Best way to power monitors and a console in a car?

1. Best way to power monitors and a console in a car?

I'm not sure if any one has done this here but what is the best way to get power to your monitors and game consoles in your car that is safe? I'm thinking about getting two car adapters for the monitors and a seperate power converter for the PS2 and running them into my three 12v outlits. Good idea? Bad idea? Just need some help here.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

Just match up the necessary wattage of the devices with the proper wattage/number of power converters. If the power gets to be too much for the vehicle, get a capacitor. I used to have one of these in my Integra, and it worked beautifully. It powered
    Alpine CVA-1000 In dash GUI and A/V
    Alpine ERA-G320 DSP module
    Alpine 6 Disc Changer
    MTX Blue Thunder 1004 amp for mid's and tweeters
    MTX Blue Thunder 2x100 amp for subs
    2 x MTX Blue Thunder 10's
    4 x Polk Audio 6.5 components
    Streetwires 1 Farad Cap
    At times had DVD Players, PSX, N64's connected to the CVA-1000

Before I got the cap, every time the subs would hit it would dim out my headlights a bit. After the cap, no such behavior.

3. I have subs in my car and everytime the subs would hit the interior lights would dim. I just figured the powercable running to my battery wasn't strong enough so I have them disconnected at the moment.

So with a capacitor, its possible to have my amp, two 12s, a ps2, and two monitors all powered without any harm done?
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

4. the cap doesn't provide any extra power, it just stores up power and can release it if the system gets a sudden drain that the normal supply can't handle (like a heavy sub hit). If the stuff you're using is a constant steady drain, it won't help because it will never have an opportunity to charge up. imo i don't think a console will be that much of a problem for your electrical system, the audio system is the real drain.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    the cap doesn't provide any extra power, it just stores up power and can release it if the system gets a sudden drain that the normal supply can't handle (like a heavy sub hit). If the stuff you're using is a constant steady drain, it won't help because it will never have an opportunity to charge up. imo i don't think a console will be that much of a problem for your electrical system, the audio system is the real drain.
    True that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi
    I have subs in my car and everytime the subs would hit the interior lights would dim. I just figured the powercable running to my battery wasn't strong enough so I have them disconnected at the moment.

So with a capacitor, its possible to have my amp, two 12s, a ps2, and two monitors all powered without any harm done?
    I would recommend at least 4 guage for any sizable audio system. The usual setup is an 8 guage, but if you have even 1 powerful amp, 8 guage is just not big enough of a pipe to get the power it needs.

if you ever use one of those dc to ac power converters that plugs into your ashtray, you may want to unplug it when you crank your car. I've seen 3 labtops get fried by not unplugging the powersuply when cranking.

7. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    if you ever use one of those dc to ac power converters that plugs into your ashtray, you may want to unplug it when you crank your car. I've seen 3 labtops get fried by not unplugging the powersuply when cranking.
    Cellphones too. I usualy start seeing them as soon as the weather gets cold and batteries need jumping.

Should get interesting when we start seeing cars with 40v electrical systems.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin