Page 1 of 16 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: 1up's 50 Most Influential Games of All Time

1up's 50 Most Influential Games of All Time

1up has been slowly adding to this list and now it's done.

Honestly, I think it's a quite a good list overall. It's very mainstream but that's kind of the point. Important/influential games are usually big hits and not often obscure/underrated games. I think Double Dragon should have made the list and the Mac shouldn't be on there since it's hardware and not a game. Jet Grind Radio probably shouldn't be there either as much as I would like it to be.

The nice thing about this feature is that even if you think a game should have been listed there's a good chance they did mention it in the actual articles/explanations. 50 games really isn't a lot of space for this kind of task even if it seems like a lot.

They made a few common historical errors like saying Adventure had the first Easter Egg, that Pac-Land was the only scrolling platformer pre-SMB, that Dragon Warrior single-handedly created the J-RPG style, and saying Parappa/rhythm genre has no video game ancestor.

1UP's Essential 50: The Most Influential Games of All Time -

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3116290&did=1

1. Spacewar
    2. Pong
    3. Space Invaders
    4. Adventure
    5. Battlezone
    6. Pitfall!
    7. Zork
    8. Game & Watch
    9. Star Wars
    10. Pac-Man
    11. Donkey Kong
    12. Rogue
    13. E.T.
    14. Dragon's Lair
    15. King's Quest
    16. One-on-One
    17. Super Mario Bros.
    18. Gauntlet
    19. M.U.L.E.
    20. Dragon Warrior
    21. Ultima IV
    22. The Macintosh
    23. Tetris
    24. Prince of Persia
    25. Faceball 2000
    26. Doom
    27. John Madden NFL Football
    28. Sonic The Hedgehog
    29. Super Mario Kart
    30. Populous
    31. Herzog Zwei
    32. Street Fighter II
    33. Myst
    34. Mortal Kombat
    35. Virtua Fighter
    36. Super Mario 64
    37. Tomb Raider
    38. Final Fantasy VII
    39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    40. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    41. Metal Gear Solid
    42. Half-Life
    43. Gran Turismo
    44. Parappa the Rapper
    45. Ultima Online
    46. Pokemon
    47. The Sims
    48. Jet Grind Radio
    49. Grand Theft Auto III
    50. Halo

They didn't list them in any order of importance. They are semi-chronological.

2. i've been following this list for the past few weeks, and i must say that i'm impressed.

aside from constant references to the videogame "crash," (which has been blown entirely out of proportion,) there are some great articles there. i just wish there were some more C64 games.

3. Hm, I'd say Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are notable omissions. RE really kicked off the survival horror genre (yes I know Alone in the Dark was it's forebear, but RE was what popularized it), and DMC's been pretty much been the template for the action genre since it hit.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    They made a few common historical errors like saying Adventure had the first Easter Egg,
    I have to ask, if it's not, what's the first? It was the first console easter egg, so I'm guess a computer format game went before it?

dave

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    I have to ask, if it's not, what's the first? It was the first console easter egg, so I'm guess a computer format game went before it?

dave
    The first, as far as I know, was a hidden programmer name in a demo game cartridge for the Channel F console. It's a bit older than the Adventure Easter Egg.

6. Its a great list, but there are some misses.

Faceball 2000. It was ok.

Halo. Its almost like they use Halo to acknowledge MS bid into gaming. In some genre's they grant acknowledgement to the game who did it "first" (like Parappa) ignoring the better games that came later. Yet, with console FPS, they don't do that for Goldeneye. Oh well.

John Madden's Football. This was more of a "lifetime" achievement than it was for this one single game. The original JM Football was a broken game, with bad graphics and poor gameplay. It wasn't until EA copied many of SEGA's 'Joe Montana's Football' playstyle did they strike out with a superior title with Madden '92.

E.T. Sure it has a great story behind it, but why waste a spot on the list? Its just one of the first (of many) blockbuster titles to fall on its face.

Dragon's Lair. Another one of those games that has a great history behind it, but didn't revolutionize games at all. Instead, it kind of takes gameplay a few steps back, by making the gamer more passive and helped create alot of BAD FMV games.

Also, epmode made mention that the C-64/Atari 8 is pretty unrepresented. Games like Dungeon Master, ELITE, Pirates! come to mind. A few newer ones being War/Starcraft or SimCity.
    Last edited by toxic; 14 Jan 2005 at 02:22 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    The first, as far as I know, was a hidden programmer name in a demo game cartridge for the Channel F console. It's a bit older than the Adventure Easter Egg.
    You sure it wasn't a name hidden in the code, or was it something unlockable like Adventure was? I just bring this up because Digital Press, where I do most of messageboard posting, as well as AtariAge have flagged Adventure as having the first easter egg. Being as DP covers the 2600 and the Channel F, I figured they'd know about the Channel F one.

*shrug* Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but I can't check DP, AA, or even 1up.com here at work. Damn websense...

dave

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    You sure it wasn't a name hidden in the code, or was it something unlockable like Adventure was? I just bring this up because Digital Press, where I do most of messageboard posting, as well as AtariAge have flagged Adventure as having the first easter egg. Being as DP covers the 2600 and the Channel F, I figured they'd know about the Channel F one.

*shrug* Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but I can't check DP, AA, or even 1up.com here at work. Damn websense...

dave
    Someone at the atariage forums posted how to unlock it a while back. I think it was some button combination.

*edit - found the answer.
    http://members.cox.net/seanriddle/chanf.html

When you get to the end of the demo, hit buttons 1,3 and 4 at the same time. When you release them, the programmer's name is printed.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 14 Jan 2005 at 02:30 PM.

9. This is quite an impressive list indeed... I am still really surprised to see E.T. in that list, this is a bit strange.

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Someone at the atariage forums posted how to unlock it a while back. I think it was some button combination.

*edit - found the answer.
    http://members.cox.net/seanriddle/chanf.html
    Yeah I just found that. Wish I could read the AA thread... it'd probably be a toss-up, as the demo cart is just that, and was never officially released, while it did take the prize if that 1977 copyright date holds to be the year it was made.