Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lain and Noir

1. Lain and Noir

Picked them up at Best Buy - anyone go through either of these sets? I've watched the first 8 episodes of Farscape (not anime) and I'm not terribly enthused about it, so going to give one of these a go.

2. I've seen both all the way through, so here goes:

Lain is a trippy 13 episode show about a young girl who becomes entranced by the "wired" (The internet) after her friend commits suicide and sends her an email post-mortem that states she lives in the wired. Lain begins to have horrific experiences with people who claim that the wired is "real" or "better than real."
    The show delves into the mystery of the wired, who Lain really is, and who made her this way. It's very confusing at times, but if you pay attention then you should come out of it very satisfied.

Noir is an action drama about two young women who share a past that neither can remember. The older is a blonde-haired assassin in France, the other is a brown-haired young girl who can't remember her past, but can kill with avid ferocity. The two meet on the same mission, and before one kills the other, they agree to work together until they find Kirika's (The young girl's) memory. They form an assassination duo called "Noir." The show can actually be quite boring sometimes, but it has incredible music (Yuki Kaijura, a la .Hack) The action is predictable, and for such a violent show there is no blood whatsoever. Everyone who dies is a man dressed in a business suit (no foolin') and the story revelations at the end of the show are laughably bad.

I would recommend Lain over Noir anyday, but do yourself a favor and get Noir's soundtrack.

3. Lain is really, really fucking weird. It has the best opening song ever though. I liked it, but it takes a lot of brain power to follow what the hell is going on, and when you get to the later episodes it goes batshit insane.

4. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl20
    Lain is really, really fucking weird. It has the best opening song ever though. I liked it, but it takes a lot of brain power to follow what the hell is going on, and when you get to the later episodes it goes batshit insane.
    But the villain, he's too cool! And really, when you break it down it's not so bad.

5. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru
    Picked them up at Best Buy - anyone go through either of these sets? I've watched the first 8 episodes of Farscape (not anime) and I'm not terribly enthused about it, so going to give one of these a go.
    I have both complete sets and they are both great, especially Noir.

I highly recommend lain. I also highly recommend this REVIEW of lain. I don't normally recommend reviews, but this one puts the show into a very detailed context and explains some of the back elements behind the story, not ruining anything really, just making what is a very strange show have some level of clarity and meaning.
    Last edited by Scourge; 18 Jan 2005 at 12:35 AM.

7. I guess I'm the odd man out. I can't stand Lain. I usally like the weird trippy shows like FLCL ,but this show is so slow it kills

8. 4 episodes into Lain and I'm finding it cerebral, slow moving, and bizarre. Not that that is a bad thing.

9. Boogiepop Phantom > Lain.

10. lain is 7 episodes too long. stylish, though.