Thread: A service to kill processes via quick keys

1. A service to kill processes via quick keys

I dunno if there's something for this, but basically I need a service that can be setup to listen for hot/quick keys to kill/terminate a process specified in advance. Like, pressing CTRL + ALT + Y would automatically end any process with the exact name "Y2WIN.EXE" running. Anybody by chance know something that can do this?? It would have to be service cause I already made an application for this, but it doesn't quite work with the problem I'm having.
    "Don't be a pansy." - James

2. Havent heard of anything like this as a service.

Have you tried setting up your exe as a service? There is a utility in the windows reskit called srvany that will allow you to create a generic service out of any exe or bat file, then you can run the service under a higher level account if needed be

do you have to use hotkeys?

3. Alright, I'll try that. Thanks. And yeah, I need to map it to a hot key. I didn't wanna go into too much detail, but basically I'm debugging a directx full screen app. I set a break point and sometimes I can bring the debugger into focus/visibility when that breakpoint is reached, and sometimes not. In the latter case, I haven't yet crashed as I still have some system control like ALT+TAB, but I've essentially locked the display surface. It's either kill the process or reboot (which I'm getting tired of doing). I can't always get Task Manager visibility to kill it that way (CTRL+ALT+DEL launches it, but I just can't see it), so it's gotta be done via a system aware hot key.
    Last edited by NightWolve; 19 Jan 2005 at 02:28 PM.

4. Can't you just use ctrl+break to stop the app?

5. Nope.

6. At least he's thinking about this sort of thing. I hate when I'm playing a game at full screen and it crashes to a black screen and I can't do shit.