Page 1 of 23 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal recommendations.

1. Metal recommendations.

I've been wanting to get into some metal after listening to this band/album more recently (Karp - Suplex):

It's a Melvins-inspired band. I'm not sure if metal fans are aware of the band or it's a property of indie rock, but that's the starting point. Then I downloaded some songs from a metal thread elsewhere, plus stuff I had already been listening to. I think of such thus:

YES:
    *Carcass - "Heartwork"
    *Death - "Story to Tell" / "Flesh and the Power it Holds"
    *Mastodon - Leviathan
    *Karp - Suplex / Karp
    Wolf - "Die by the Sword" (Slayer cover)
    Don Caballero - Don Caballero 2 (another indie rock property)
    Megadeth - "Polaris"
    Katatonia - "Murder" (vocals almost kill it)

OK:
    Khanate - Things Viral (a little too doom)
    Isis - Panopticon
    Darkthrone - "Kathaarian Life Code"
    Iron Maiden - "The Evil that Men Do"
    Ufomammut - Snailking
    Danzig - "Heart of the Devil"

NO:
    Burzum - "Gebrechlichkeit I"
    Mayhem - "Ancient Skin"
    Bolt Thrower - "Pride"
    Necrophagist - "Stabwound"
    Pig Destroyer
    DEP
    Black Sabbath - "Heaven and Hell"

Vocals-
    Hate deep growling vocals. Operatic vocals not cared for either.

Instrumentation-
    Hate music so sloppy and/or fast that it sounds like an indecipherable mess. Loses all impact. Also don't care for super-slow doom.

Other-
    Would like to avoid metal's cheesiest thematic elements (overly gruesome/satanic lyrics). Don't particularly care for the earliest metal (Sabbath, etc.).

Yes, I could just peruse allmusic, but that's so boring. It'd be nice to have a few killer recommendations to queue up on soulseek. Any songs or albums to check out are appreciated.

Also, any opinions on this album:

Voivod - Nothingface. Been trying impatiently to get this on soulseek, but failing.
    Last edited by Punky Skunk; 22 Jan 2005 at 07:05 AM.

2. Try the following bands/albums to start:

Opeth - Blackwater Park OR Still Life
    Therion - Lemuria/Sirius B (two separate albums released at the same time) but only if you could learn to enjoy real sopranos and tenors, which you state you do not, but try these two because its one of the most brilliant album(s) I've ever heard.
    Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis or Visions from the Spiral Generator
    Borknagar - Empiricism
    Wintersun - Wintersun
    Persuader - Evolution Purgatory
    In Flames - The Jester Race OR Whoracle OR Colony
    Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise (satanic black metal that is artful)
    Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera OR Imaginations From The Other Side OR Somewhere Far Beyond

Something I should say, just like I've mentioned countless other times - you shouldn't come into metal with "indie" scene expectations... all those things you called 'cheesy' and overdone are trademarks within the overall genre of metal. For the most part, you can learn to like it and not care about cheesiness and just call it fun. Most bands who play the real over the top music realize that alot of people feel that way, but the band themselves have to create and perform that music with a certain sense of seriousness and passion, a suspension of disbelief is almost mandatory when listening to metal. Its not like they laugh at their music afterwards, but most bands are capable of laughing at themselves.

When you hear a song where the lyrics are talking about some epic situation, just go with it and enjoy it, because pointing it out and thinking 'Who the hell does this band think they are?' just ruins your connection to what you are listening to, and whats the point of that? What I've noticed in indie music is this seeming dis-attachment between the band and the music, maybe its just a Sonic Youth thing but there seems to be a glaze of apathy over the whole genre and thats why I don't normally listen to it. Most metal bands create music with a good mind of what they really want, and you can hear that in the genre's better bands. Anyway, hope you like some stuff, I'm glad you liked Iron Maiden, their 80s albums are all quality stuff, and their most recent two (in my opinion), they're my favorite band. Blind Guardian comes a close second.
    Last edited by station82o; 22 Jan 2005 at 08:54 PM.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

3. Punky_Skunk might want my input because I come from a similar music-listening background as him. As of right now I have a casual interest in metal, but I want to get into it more. Just listen to Therion and Opeth and you can see some of the most amazing, innovative, and creative music going on. Metal is really an untapped genre.

If he doesnt like the death metal vocals he wont like Opeth. Still the instrumentation is top-notch and yea, these guys are really great. Same with In Flames, but Jester Race is really good. My stance on death metal vocals is that you should think of them like another instrument. They add texture to the song instead of overpowering it and they let the instrument work step to the center. I mean, you like Loveless dont you? Same concept.

As for Blind Guardian... eeeee.... I hear you on the over-the-top stuff station but these guys take it too far. I had one of their tracks in my iTunes and it made me laugh. Id put money on Punky_Skunk hating it. Therion though, really great stuff. Right now my #3 album of 2004.

Also, check out more Iron Maiden. Get the Edward the Great CD for a good warm-up (thats what I did).

What I've noticed in indie music is this seeming distachment between the band and the music, maybe its just a Sonic Youth thing but there seems to be a glaze of apathy over the whole genre and thats why I don't normally listen to it.
    Its the whole irony thing.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 22 Jan 2005 at 11:50 AM.

Station is correct. If you want to get into metal, good metal, get used to epic operatic vocals.

Otherwise you won't be able to listen to Blind Guardian, or even Rhapsody.

P.S. Get used to fast shit too. Otherwise no Slayer. And listening to Metal without listening to Slayer is silly. Don't worry about "impact" or anything. Slayer's music will kick your ass.

P.P.S. If you like complexity to the point of headache listen to Dillinger Escape Plan. Honestly though I don't know any non-musicians that like them.

Any other bands I can reccommend are just going to be bands that Tracer told me about. Maybe you should talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    My stance on death metal vocals is that you should think of them like another instrument. They add texture to the song instead of overpowering it and they let the instrument work step to the center.
    I've been saying this forever. No one ever listens.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Its the whole irony thing.
    I've never understood that.

When I play in front of people I get so excited to be playing music that I go nuts.

One time were in chat and Tracer hooked us up with some MP3s and we told him they sounded like Castlevania.

He got upset.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

6. Melo-death:

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
    Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
    In Flames - The Jester Race

More screaming than growling, and very strong melodic guitar work. These three albums are the classics of the genre.

Also check out Opeth, Novembre, Ephel Duath. And you might even like Maudlin of the Well or Kayo Dot.

7. Based on your list of likes, here are some albums to try:

Arsis- A Celebration of Guilt
    At the Gates- The Red In The Sky is Ours
    Death- Individual Thought Patterns, Human
    Slayer- Show no Mercy, Reign in Blood
    Sepultura- Beneath the Remains
    Watchtower- Control and Resistance
    Coroner- Punishment for Decadence
    Kreator- Pleasure to Kill
    Exodus- Bonded by Blood
    Sadus- Death to Posers, Illusions/Chemical Exposure, Swallowed in Black
    Iced Earth- Night of the Stormrider

That covers almost all the different styles within the thrash metal genre (which you seem to enjoy) and gives you two of the better melodic death metal records that I’ve heard (Arsis and At the Gates).

And just to get you exposed to some other types of metal, here are a wider variety of high quality albums:

Cynic- Focus
    Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale
    Kayo Dot- Choirs of the Eye
    Vintersorg- Visions From the Spiral Generator
    The Chasm- Deathcult for Eternity the Triumph
    Nocturnus- The Key
    Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick
    Emperor- Prometheus
    Ulver- Bergtatt
    Dissection- The Somberlain
    Immortal- At the Heart of Winter
    Agalloch- Pale Folklore, The Mantle
    Aghora- Aghora
    Gordian Knot- Gordian Knot
    Dragonforce- Valley of the Damned
    Helloween- Walls of Jericho
    Gorguts- Obscura
    Last edited by jyoung; 22 Jan 2005 at 02:42 PM.

8. I may or may not get flamed but I'd tell you to try some Killswitch Engage, they're a good starting point and will help you branch off into more things in a less jolting way. In Flames, Opeth, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Iron Maiden and Shadows Fall are some stuff to listen to up-front.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

Quote Originally Posted by wEEman33
    Slayer- Reign in Blood
    This goes for everybody. This is one of the most intense records I have ever heard.

10. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    My stance on death metal vocals is that you should think of them like another instrument. They add texture to the song instead of overpowering it and they let the instrument work step to the center. I mean, you like Loveless dont you? Same concept.
    I understand this completely, but it still sounds shit. I sigh everytime I hear an Opeth song, they would be so good if it wasn't for the distracting barking shit (of course, IMO, don't kill me or sacrifice my child). For me personally, it is the single greatest barrier to overcome to get into metal, but I'm trying.

Picked up Panopticon yesterday, and OMFG.