Thread: Graphics Card Question

1. Graphics Card Question

I am looking into building a new machine, i have decided on an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo and an 2.2 or higher AMD 64 939pin chip, but here where i am coming to a fork. I have the original ATI Radeon from like 98, its the 64Meg DDR, it runs decently but nothing new plays on it. My question is what would be better, the ATI PCI exprees x850 XT Platnium or Dual 6800 GT using the SLI and PCI express.

Thanks,
    innova
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

2. You bought an SLI board for a reason and at the moment ATI hasn't released anything that takes advantage of SLI..at least from what I know. The Geforce 6600GT (PCI-E version) is the best bang for the buck at less than 200 bucks. You could get 2 (maybe 3 if you look for deals!) of them for the price of that ATI Radeon X850 XT.

Only thing you should keep in mind that NVidia has to create profiles for games to take advantage of SLI and I'm not sure how many were made already. I did read something about someone making a program that allows all games to use SLI but I'm not so sure about it. Also I think you may need a beefy power supply if you intend to use dual vid cards.

Hopefully someone here can give additional suggestions as I dont know enough about SLI and whether you could use 6600GT's for SLI as buying two 6800GT's is gonna cost you a pretty penny (unless you could easily afford it which means I want you to buy me one . )
    Last edited by raystorm; 22 Jan 2005 at 04:48 PM.

3. lol yeah def getting like a 600watt powersupply, been saving for a new computer for a year or so now, so i got some cash to burn, i dont think ati will ever have sli cause i think its a nividia thing, not to sure but thats why i ask......thanks
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"