Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for anybody using P2P/BitTorrent

1. Advice for anybody using P2P/BitTorrent

Ok...to start off, I am new to the whole BitTorrent thing, but in the couple weeks I have used it I have learned a lot. I am hoping to pass on my knowledge to others, and anybody can help.

1 - First off, do not use the regular BT Client. I reccomend that you use either http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ or http://bittornado.com/ (non-experimental, I use this one). These give you way more options, like only downloading some of the files out of a torrent and the ability to choose which port is being used.

2 - Change the ports used on your client. BT typically uses ports 6881 - 6889. Your ISP knows this and often throttles these ports. If you are getting errors w/ your modem this might be why. Use some other ports not used by file sharing clients.

Direct Connect 411 - 413
    Kazaa 1214
    eDonkey 4662
    Gnutella 6346 - 6347
    BitTorrent 6881 - 6889

Those are the common ports, so use anything not listed in those. Usually a range of 10 is good, over that is a security risk.

3 - Forward your ports on your router. If you are always getting a yellow light on your client, this is why. Your router is blocking them. You probably need to go to http://192.168.1.1 to fix this. However, it is different w/ different routers, so you will need to figure out what to do for your own. Then simply click on port forwarding and forward the ports you selected on your client.

4 - Throttle your U/L speeds. However, do not strangle them. You want them to be as high as they can w/o hurting your download speeds.

Ok, that is all I can think of now. Hope that helps everybody.
    your mom

2. Have I told you lately that I love you?
    So I forced my hands in my pockets and felt with my thumbs and gallantly handed her my very last piece of gum.

3. Easy there Rod Stewart.

4. So I forced my hands in my pockets and felt with my thumbs and gallantly handed her my very last piece of gum.

5. Didna work, connection still died. Not kidding about the timeline, by the way. With old modem - no problems, first try with new modem - problems so I'm sure it's that. Just got optomistic.
    So I forced my hands in my pockets and felt with my thumbs and gallantly handed her my very last piece of gum.

6. My guess, you are behind a router, in which case you have to set it manually in both the router and sometimes the program itself(eg edonkey and its variations).

In my case, i am screwed as i am behind 2 routers.

7. Hmm, it might simply be your modem then. Can ya take it back...

Also, see if their website has a firmware upgrade. That could be a problem. Do you have any problems w/ really fast downloads from regular websites?

Hmm...doesnt look like their website has anything for you
    your mom

8. ok i need some help with Azureus

1. how do i change the ports it uses? the only place i see anything related is configuration>server>incoming tcp listen port, but there is no port range and i'm not sure that's the one i want to change.

2. How do i get the IP filter working with the ones i want to block?

9. Yeah, my modem's all gay. Can't take it back, so I'll just get a new one sometime soon and make sure I can return it in case it doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks much for the though.

10. Ok, how to change your port range in all the major clients out there.

BT Official/Shadows Exp.
    In the main Client download window, click on Prefs
    In the top left corner of the new window that opens is :-
    Port Range: *
    To: 6889 (or whatever)
    change these settings to whatever you choose (20 ports or so)
    of course do NOT include 6881-6889 in the range you choose.
    Click save, and restart the client.

ABC
    click on top left corner --> Action --> ABC preference -- > Port settings has "Minimum port number" and "Maximum port number" change as needed & click "Apply" and restart your client

AZUREUS
    View>Configuration>Server
    And change incoming port to a number. 7000 or 27316 or something.
    Restart Azureus

BitComet
    Options--->Option--->Connection. Change Listen Port to what you want
    6870, 7000, 27316 or whatever. Restart the client.

G3
    options -> preferences (ctrl-p)
    network options - port range
    set minimum and maximum port

In BitComet and Azureus you can only select one port. Its ok though because it filters everything through one port, much like you would have in any other P2P client such as Kazza, etc.

Stormy, what do you mean by IP blocking exactly? I know you can disable certain ones in Azureus, but I really dont have experience doing it. I personally use a program called Protowall http://bluetack.co.uk/pw.html which has a huge list of IPs that it blocks. It is small and uses little resources as it runs in the background. Nice little program to have.
    your mom