Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP64: Is it worth it?

1. Quote Originally Posted by 007bond
    Yes go for it! It won't work but I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.
    ?? whats the problem??
    fantastic experience?? if you know shit, then shut up

2. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Id leave well enough alone, unless you plan on using your computer to fire missiles or something.
    I use my comp mainly for audio production, and the increased FLOPS (floating point calculations per second) are a godsend. If I can run 20% more real time plug-ins than before then I will be ecstatic. I am pushing my CPU at around 90% for most of projects I'm working on. Fortunately, my AMD64 has saved me from the numerous crashes I used to get when the CPU would peg out. I am pretty hardcore about ctrl-s every couple minutes, but sometimes when I'm deep into some edits, I forget, and I have lost many an hour of work because of the ridiculous number of crashes.

The problem is none of the DAW sofware I use or the plug-in packs I use are optimized for 64 yet. My audio card has drivers for 64, but without the software support it ain't helping me, yet.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan
    ?? whats the problem??
    fantastic experience?? if you know shit, then shut up
    Wow...ok a pentium 4 is not a 64 bit chip thus Windows XP 64 bit = bad idea.

4. Straight off of MS's website:

•Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support
    •256MB RAM
    •1.5GB available hard-disk space
    •Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card
    •CD-ROM or DVD drive
    •Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Important: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium–based systems.