Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP64: Is it worth it?

1. XP64: Is it worth it?

Ok, now I got my new Athlon64 system up and running and made the jump to XP and it seems to be cooking. I've heard mixed things about Windows XP x64 Edition. Are the benefits worth it, or should I just leave well enough alone?

2. Id leave well enough alone, unless you plan on using your computer to fire missiles or something.

3. Wait until the final release. Drivers should be good by then.

4. yeah what joust said. drivers arent really up to speed yet, especially video drivers......so basically any increse you would want to see in gaming would be non existant for the time.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    yeah what joust said. drivers arent really up to speed yet, especially video drivers......so basically any increse you would want to see in gaming would be non existant for the time.
    Vid drivers are 3rd party, though, aren't they? I thought nvidia's x64 video drivers were supposed to be good, but ATI's were not.

6. i havnt checked recently but i know initially the drivers werent that great. they basically only allowed the chipsets to run, and werent really optimized. things could have changed. if you want a solid answer id ask at the sharky forums.

7. Well...basically, with XP64, you're looking at a 20% increase in speed tops, and while the drivers work, they work as in "I'm not going to hose the system every few hours". The reason to use it (in the future) is for the added performance, but the performance is negated by immature drivers.

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...83101-5,00.htm

A (non-surprising) decrease over 32. There's just a) no drivers and b) no applications that take advantage of 64bit. When they're recoded (which the current new stuff should be), it'll make sense. And you're going to fromat for the final release of 64bit anyway, so it's not like you can get ready.

8. Alright, I'll leave it be, then. I thought if the video drivers were good it might help things even for old games. If not, then screw it. The new system seems to be trucking along really well right now, at least in terms of CPU performance. I was shocked to see how much emulators benefitted from the move to XP

9. it says that windows XP 64 bit will work fine with Itanium processor?
    anyways, I have the windows XP 64 bit also.. was still wondering whether it is wise to use the 64 bit version?
    currently using HT 3 Ghz pentium IV.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan
    it says that windows XP 64 bit will work fine with Itanium processor?
    anyways, I have the windows XP 64 bit also.. was still wondering whether it is wise to use the 64 bit version?
    currently using HT 3 Ghz pentium IV.
    Yes go for it! It won't work but I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.