Thread: some info please guys

1. some info please guys

My hard disk is running low, and somehow, restore points created by XP, takes up to 6 GB of harddisk space.
    the directory 'C: \system volume information' on itself is "unaccessible" by default however, i managed to find my way in by typing longer dir. path ex:
    C: \System Volume Information\_restore{F255EDBC-071D-4EC2-991A-3F8DC19CA889} etc.
    I have noticed that this directory alone takes up more than 6 GB of space and there are more than 800 folders and thousands of files.. which i suppose to be the restore points for my comp.
    Now, since i havent had any problem with my comp, some earlier Restore points I assume are useless to keep right? they are unneeded since some of them are made when security patches are made by the windows update tool.
    Is it safe to delete some earlier Restore points?
    Or is there another "legal" way to delete the "no longer needed" Restore Points?
    Correct me if im wrong, but as far as i am concerned, leaving this useless Restore Points are like keeping trash around. surely we can leave only a few Restore points that might still be functional when needed, But a restore point that are like 6 months old? we wont go that far way back would we?
    any suggestion is very much appreciated. Thanks .

2. Well, I had the same problem:

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ad.php?t=32521

I don't think anyone gave me a real good solution, but feel free to read it yourself. And, I know you're new, so you probably didn't know there was a seperate section devoted to computer problems called "The Circuit Board". Posting stuff in there gets your questions answered faster.

3. thanks for the suggestions but i m still confused on one point,
    whether or not, it is safe to delete some of the old existing restore points.
    and how do we do it the safe way "legal" way that won't interupt any of the processes or create somekind of conflicts later on.
    please respond people..please.. T_T

4. It is safe to delete the restore points, but I recommend you use system restore whenever you:
    -are installing new software/hardware which could cause compatability problems
    -are downloading dodgy things (cracks,etc) which could contain viruses, or when implemented could cause unwanted problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan
    thanks for the suggestions but i m still confused on one point,
    whether or not, it is safe to delete some of the old existing restore points.
    and how do we do it the safe way "legal" way that won't interupt any of the processes or create somekind of conflicts later on.
    please respond people..please.. T_T
    You can turn off system restore to save the hard drive space, but if you are down to six gigs that you need free'd up, I'd invest in a new harddrive. Unless you have a specific reason (need maximum drive throughput for A/V applications) then it's not the best idea.

6. Thanx for all the responds guys
    That gives me the courage to go for my kamikaze attempt to delete manually the Res.Points. Ha! and managed to free up to 3 Gigs of space.
    And so far no conflicts is shown.