Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 68910

Thread: 2005 Oscar Noms

1. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Eastwood is a better director than he is actor.
    And that's saying something alright because IMO he was a great actor.

2. Quote Originally Posted by pixelassassin
    No...Nicole Kidman
    Who cares? You got Cate Blanchet, who is the better Australian actress
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

3. I didn't watch the whole thing, but:

Quote Originally Posted by me at the start of the thread
    - Eternal Sunshine should have been nominated for best picture, but I'm happy with the best screenplay selection.
    Man am I happy this won, this movie deserves all the praise it can get. Easily one of the best movies I have ever seen.

- Best Film Editing - # THE AVIATOR (Miramax) - lol, I bet it'll win this as well.
    If you walk out of a movie and say to yourself,"wow, they really could have trimmed that down" or "that really dragged at parts" then I don't think it deserves best editing. Which is exactly what happened with the aviator.

- I really felt that The Polar Express should've gotten best sound, and Lemony Snicket deserved best art direction over the aviator.

- It was really cool seeing Brad Bird up there, the man has lot of talent.

- Hooray for Spider-Man 2 winning.

- Chris Rock's opening was good, he actually made me laugh, I loved his popular people comment, was the rest of his stuff any good?

- Sean Penn sucks.

4. Penn's a good actor, but he's such an old fuddy duddy.

That's right, I said fuddy duddy. I'm also going to start saying: "SOMEBODY'S GOT A CASE OF THE MONDAYS" too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue
    Who cares? You got Cate Blanchet, who is the better Australian actress
    I was merely naming high A list actors/actresses. Nothing more.
    This years Oscars was missing a ton of big names.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Regus

If you walk out of a movie and say to yourself,"wow, they really could have trimmed that down" or "that really dragged at parts" then I don't think it deserves best editing. Which is exactly what happened with the aviator.
    That has to do with more direction then editing. As an example, Andrei Tarkovsky's movies go on forever with unedited long takes, but then, that's his point and that's his style. Editing I think is more of a judgement of what is on screen, not what should've happened.

Suppose a movie's scene ends where you though it should've ended. How would've you have known that was the perfect time to end? How can you predict that what could've continued in the movie's scene wouldn't have been significant to the movie, or to the director's statement or vision? It's all relative.

Watch something like Chicago. That has like six billion shock cuts and edits per song but yet it's still cohesive and is easy to follow. That's fantastic concrete editing (though not particuarly good filmmaking).

7. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Scorsese has been snubbed twice - with Raging Bull and Goodfellas.
    I'd say Taxi Driver is his best film, and certainly better than Rocky which won over it that year.

The Oscars are a joke though, Im not sure I can think of a year when the best film won, at least recently. The fact that directors like Kubrick and Hitchock hardly won anything is absurd. I respect people like Woody Allen, who chose to perform in a jazz club over accepting the award for best film for Annie Hall.

8. Million Dollar Baby was the best film from last year. You lose.