Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Developing Android Console

Google Developing Android Console

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    Google is developing a game console that runs on Android, Wall Street Journal reports. The console is in development alongside a wrist watch powered by Android.

Google is interested in the console and watch as a buffer against whatever devices Apple has planned for the future, the report says. One person mentioned that Google has been watching the Ouya, the Kickstarted and open Android console that just launched to the public for $99 a pop. Amazon sold out of its Ouya stock early in the first day, but is back in business now.

As for the watch, wearable computing isn't a new idea – it's one that Valve founder Gabe Newell in particular finds intriguing. Valve is working on a Steam Box, which is so far described as a cheap, in-home streaming console that runs on Linux. Newell, like Google, is also keeping a close eye on Apple.
    Link

This, and any potential answer from Apple, will be what finally knocks Microsoft out of this industry, as their living room takeover fails spectacularly. And they know it.

2. Yawn.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

3. Doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. After seeing what Android can do, Google can keep that shit. Valve making a console is more exciting, this is just Google Branded Ouya.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    this is just Google Branded Ouya.
    This is what I'm thinking as well, but I find that prospect likely a lot more attractive than OUYA, because it won't have its own market, it'll probably be even more hacker/mod friendly, and it'll certainly have much more competitive hardware.

How much longer until I can play games on my Apple TV?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    After seeing what Android can do, Google can keep that shit. Valve making a console is more exciting, this is just Google Branded Ouya.
    Wait, what's wrong with Android?

8. Ouya is an emulation console. I care more about that than Google's system, unless it turns out to be fully open too. In which case it's bound to at least have a better controller.

James

9. I understand you can use a USB Saturn pad with the Ouya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ouya is an emulation console. I care more about that than Google's system, unless it turns out to be fully open too.
    Given that all of the official Google hardware has been open, and I can play just emulators even more easily on them than on the OUYA where I have to sideload shit, I'd say open is a good bet.