Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Codecs

1. Starting thismorning sound no longer plays in some of my avi files. I know that they did play successfully with the defiler pack earlier and even before i had the defiler pack installed, but not now. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, still nothing. Windows Media player flashes a bunch of stuff on the bottom of the window, the only readable thing is error DLing codec. Real player says "Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format." I haven't changed anything codec/video related since watching them last. Any ideas?

edit - Some ogm's don't have sound either, and give the same message. I DL this one set of 9 episodes of an anime and the sound worked on some and not others within the same set, which supposedly should have the same encoding...
    Last edited by stormy; 04 Feb 2005 at 01:31 AM.

2. do a google search for a program called "GSpot", it'll tell you all sorts of information about your videos (audio/video codecs used, resolution, bla bla bla). You should be able to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it by that.

3. I think all this stuff about codecs should be added to the software thread, seeing as how I'm about to have to reformat my computer again I'll be needing these.

4. this is so wierd. I got GSpot, it says i have 2 compatible audio codecs, but i go to render and it doesn't load either. Under video it says 4CCIVX/ Name: DivX4 (OpenDivX) stat: Codec misconfigured. I click on code misconfigured and it says i'm missing a file CWINDOWS\System32\divxdec.ax

Shouldn't that have been fixed when i reinstalled the Defiler pack? Can i reinstall DivX without uninstalling the Defiler pack?

5. Er... make sure Windows Media Player isn't on mute?

Also, some anime episodes I get have a funky dual language option, not sure if you have one of those files...
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

6. Yeah, that can be it too (dual audio channel files). Like I suggested, try using Media Player Classic to play your videos. Also another thing to try is uninstalling all the installed codecs like divx/xvid/whatever, reinstalling the defilerpak and rebooting the computer.

edit: behold!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dualaudio.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	13991  
    Last edited by cka; 04 Feb 2005 at 02:08 PM.