Thread: Need Help with Rig

1. Need Help with Rig

Now I want to use my rig for this:
    * Word proccessing (no big deal)
    * Internet browsing using a wifi router - (802.11g)
    * PhotoShopping with a tablet - (a tablet)
    * Scanning stuff - (USB X2)
    * Capture video/screenshots - (a capture device {possibly needing firewire} + shitloads of ram)
    * Playing the occasional computer game (not that worried about graphic quality) (an ATI graphics card + teh GIGAHURTZ)

I'm not interested in buying a desktop because I like my work area to vary, but I'm also not going to carry this around with me. I'm thinking of a desktop replacement, a desktop computer in a clunky notebook package. What I'm currently thinking of is a:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...duct/XC3477%0A

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15318?v=glance
    +
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC55/pt_advc55.asp

Is this setup ok, any other ideas?
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 03 Feb 2005 at 03:03 AM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

2. What video games would you want it to play?

It seems pretty good, but then for $1,935.47 (US) it had better be!

3. www.notebookforums.com

I would really ask around there. There's a company called Sager, which makes DTRs that have a Geforce 6800 Go, which is quite good for a portable. DTRs don't have very good battery life, though, as they use a full-blown P4. Look around for a good Athlon Mobile 64 or Centrino Pentium-M (remember, add about 1 GHz to the CPU speed on either to get a rough CPU estimate in comparison to a P4). The M's have great battery life, the Mobile 64s pretty good. Make sure you get a 7200 RPM laptop HD.

A good one with a mobile chip is the Dell 9200 model. It has a mobility Radeon 9700 (about the same speed as a desktop 9600).
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 02 Feb 2005 at 06:28 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by burky
    What video games would you want it to play?
    Half-life 2 and Worms 3D......

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    www.notebookforums.com

I would really ask around there. There's a company called Sager, which makes DTRs that have a Geforce 6800 Go, which is quite good for a portable. DTRs don't have very good battery life, though, as they use a full-blown P4. Look around for a good Athlon Mobile 64 or Centrino Pentium-M (remember, add about 1 GHz to the CPU speed on either to get a rough CPU estimate in comparison to a P4). The M's have great battery life, the Mobile 64s pretty good. Make sure you get a 7200 RPM laptop HD.

A good one with a mobile chip is the Dell 9200 model. It has a mobility Radeon 9700 (about the same speed as a desktop 9600).
    Thanks Joust. Battery life isn't a problem because I'll be using it just like my current laptop (always on the adapter). I understood that M and P4 Ghz weren't comparable but that little rule helps me a lot.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

5. The one you specified would probably play HL2 on low settings I guess ,although you would want at least 512 ram for it, 256 wouldn't be good enough.

If I were you though I would step it up to the Dell 9200 model, or if you could manage those Sagar ones, 9700 in the Dell would be fine for it, and the Sagar with the 6800Go would be great.