Page 5 of 100 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP Launch Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    If Nintendo did something like this, forcing people to buy $70 worth of superfluous crap, you wouldn't shut up about how retarded they are. But with PSP, it's "not that bad".

The only worthwhile thing in there is the memory stick, and you could easily buy a bigger one with the $70 extra they're making you pay.
    You hit the nail right on the head with calling out Diff and the horseshit memory stick they force on you.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick
    (Can someone make some original content? Please?)
    Metal Gear Acid is pretty original...until you realize that you're doing all the same things you do in real Metal Gear Solid games, except slower and turn based.

3. Where are all the people whining about DS games all being ports? There's four original titles on this list (and I have it on good faith that only one is worth mentioning).

Lumines-probably the best
    Metal Gear Acid-aaaaaaaaahahahahaa
    Rengoku blah blah blah-maybe not new, I dunno
    something else I forgot

4. My problem with this all is that I feel odd about paying $250 for a handheld game system and not even owning a game to play on it at that point.

I really think Sony is being an ass by only releasing the value pack. Some of the people buying this will already have headphones, will already have a Memory Stick, and can get a cloth from damn near anywhere.

I could be wrong about this, and I'll admit that I was if it happens, but I think handhelds and consoles are two totally different things. I think that the hardcore gamers and the tech people will be able to justify $300 for a handheld and a game, but I'm not sure that your regular person will be able to. A console you hook up to a TV and the family can play, but at least from my experience a handheld is often purchased for one of the kids and they are the sole user of it. If I were a parent, I wouldn't purchase a $250 handheld game system for my kid.

I think Sony is expecting that they can treat the handheld market the same as the console market, and I don't think that is going to be the case. As I said, though, I'll be happy to admit that I was wrong if I am.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

5. $250 for the PSP and games as low as $39.99.

Way too expensive.

6. The price is way too high and the games are trash. At least the DS can play GBA games.

The graphics are great, and I'm sure it will be a success. I'll buy one for $100, no more.
    Last edited by RoleTroll; 03 Feb 2005 at 02:14 PM.
    No gnus is good gnus.

7. I think as soon as all the die hards get their PSPs and sales begin to dip a bit is when you will see Sony release a barebones system. It sucks for consumers but I could see why Sony would try to pull that off.

To cut the hardware losses early on.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    To cut the hardware losses early on.
    And if it works, expect to seem them do it with the PS3 too.

I also think Sony is trying to offset the hosing they're taking on the unit itself by forcing you to buy a bunch of trinkets that don't cost shit to make. And while I feel handhelds can be every bit as good as consoles, $250 is too steep. Especially if history has taught us anything about Sony's commitment to quality worksmanship on launch hardware.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...