Page 1 of 100 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP Launch Thread

1. PSP Launch Thread

PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) Set to Release on March 24 Across North America
    Thursday February 3, 8:08 am ET
    Sony Computer Entertainment America to Retail Single SKU PSP Value Pack for $249.99

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced today the North American launch details for its highly anticipated PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) handheld entertainment system. Available through retail outlets on March 24, the company continues its consumer-centric legacy with the release of the PSP Value Pack for a suggested retail price of $249.99 U.S./$299.99 CND. In addition to the revolutionary PSP hardware, the PSP Value Pack contains an unprecedented added-value package of accessories and entertainment content, including 32 MB Memory Stick Duo(TM), headphones with remote control, battery pack, AC adaptor, soft case and cleaning cloth, movie/music/game video sampler UMD disc including multiple non-interactive game demos, and for the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped, a special UMD video release of the feature film Spider-Man(TM) 2 from Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Sony Computer Entertainment will manufacture one million units for sale in the North American market by the close of its fiscal year ending March 31. This figure is part of the company's total three-million-unit worldwide PSP system shipment estimate within the same time period. PSP released in Japan on December 12, 2004 and is already a hit, with more than 800,000 units shipped, including a 200,000-unit allocation that sold out on day one.

PSP sets a new standard as the first truly integrated portable entertainment system designed to provide consumers with a comprehensive entertainment experience including games, music, movies, communication, and wireless networking. Featuring graphics rendering capabilities comparable to the company's leading in-home console, PlayStation(R)2, PSP brings an unparalleled gaming experience to a portable platform, allowing users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality, full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PSP also allows for digital photo display and supports digital music playback in both MP3 and ATRAC formats.

"PSP will evolve and elevate portable entertainment, giving users the freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on their terms, their time and their place," said Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive officer, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "More than ever, today's consumer demands access to entertainment outside the home without compromising quality. With more than 100 PSP game titles currently in development worldwide, and the ability to download and listen to digital music and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality, PSP lets users control their entertainment options, all in one package."

PSP features an unmatched 4.3-inch, 16:9 wide screen TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. PSP also comes complete with built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector and diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN, enabling users to connect to the Internet and play online via a wireless network.* Up to 16 PSPs in the vicinity can also be connected to each other directly in ad-hoc mode, allowing for wireless head-to-head competition. In addition, wireless capabilities will allow software and data to be downloaded to a PSP and saved onto a Memory Stick Duo.

PSP also adopts a newly developed proprietary, compact, but high-capacity optical disc, Universal Media Disc (UMD(TM)), as its storage medium. UMD is the next-generation compact storage media, only 60mm in diameter but can store up to 1.8GB of digital data -- more than three times the data held on a CD-ROM. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as high quality 3D games, music, movies, video clips and other programs can be distributed on UMD. To protect this content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed for UMD, which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit.

PSP (PlayStationPortable) Basic Specifications and Features
    -- Ape Escape(R): On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    -- ATV Offroad Fury(R): Blazin' Trails, Sony Computer Entertainment
    America
    -- Darkstalkers Chronicle(TM): The Chaos Tower, Capcom
    -- Dynasty Warriors(R), KOEI
    -- FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
    -- Gretzky(TM) NHL(R), Sony Computer Entertainment America
    -- Lumines(TM), Ubisoft
    -- Metal Gear Acid(TM), Konami
    -- MLB(TM), Sony Computer Entertainment America
    -- MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts
    -- NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    -- NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts
    -- Need for Speed(TM) Rivals, Electronic Arts
    -- NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts
    -- Rengoku(TM): Tower of Purgatory, Konami
    -- Ridge Racer(TM), Namco
    -- Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
    -- Spider-Man 2(TM), Activision
    -- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR(R), Electronic Arts
    -- Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
    -- Twisted Metal: Head On(TM), Sony Computer Entertainment America
    -- Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
    -- Wipeout(R) Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    -- World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    Sex.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. I hope Lumines comes out in europe, but it's not like I can't import it if it doesn't.

3. $249 = no purchase for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

4. Hmm. Nah, still going to wait a year until a lot of PSP games come out and they release a version with minimal hardware problems.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. Oboy, you're forced to get a bunch of unneccesary crap. I'd much rather get the unit only and put that $70-100 they tacked onto the price for that stuff towards a bigger Memory Stick.

No sale.

That's a lot of cool extra shit, but I don't know if I'll have the money together to pick one up right away =( That makes me very sad, because this machine is hella tight.

WTF do you need a remote for?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. And yeah, a huge "fuck yes" to Ubi for picking up Luminies. I'm so psyched for the PSP now. Yeah, I was expecting $199 or less, but I was also expecting only the stand alone unit for the US, and I actually wanted the value pack, so it works out well for me. And they're including a free UMD version of Spider-Man 2 with the first million units on top of it? That is really cool.

Anyway, as for what really matters, the lineup, at least by the looks of it, already beats everything that has come out for the DS to me, and judging by the DS's release schedule, it looks like it'll remain that way for quite some time. That lineup is just nuts, quite possibly the best launch lineup of any system ever, imo.

Andy is covering his ass pretty well. tometometomeimoimo
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. If anything, my ass is puckering for some lovin', girlfriend. And don't pretend you can't verify this.

10. *stabs eyes*