Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Land: most unique Mario adventure ever?

1. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    hopping vampires sounds so familiar. I must know the name of this movie, I'm pretty sure there was some awesome movie from my high school years with hopping vampires that i have totally forgotten about. This is going to drive me insane for the rest of the night.
    there are tons of movies with those vampires, but my personal favorite is Mr Vampire (or "mr vampire!", I forget)

2. Quote Originally Posted by arjue
    there are tons of movies with those vampires, but my personal favorite is Mr Vampire (or "mr vampire!", I forget)
    The old NES game, Phantom Fighter, was actually based on Mr. Vampire, who all who didn't know.

3. Game Boy Advance

Ahh... nostalgia. I got this game back in '90 along with Tetris and TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan. The only thing I hated about this game way back when was the stupid rubber ball. I have more of an appreciation for it now, but back then it was disappointing for someone wanting/expecting fireballs. Fun game otherwise.

Metroid 2 was (and still is, in my humble opinion), the best Original GB game ever made. That was the first game to ever scare the crap outta me (I was in 2nd grade, to my defense). Damn intense! Wish they'd remake it...

4. Quote Originally Posted by prisoner38911301
    Ahh... nostalgia. I got this game back in '90 along with Tetris and TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan. The only thing I hated about this game way back when was the stupid rubber ball. I have more of an appreciation for it now, but back then it was disappointing for someone wanting/expecting fireballs. Fun game otherwise.

Metroid 2 was (and still is, in my humble opinion), the best Original GB game ever made. That was the first game to ever scare the crap outta me (I was in 2nd grade, to my defense). Damn intense! Wish they'd remake it...
    Yeah, at first I didn't like the ball but using it to bounce strategically at the enemies grows on you.

Metroid 2 scared ya huh? The Metroid series actually seems to be loosely inspired by Alien. I mean c'mon, the Metroids aren't too far a cry from facehuggers, the main character is female, and Ridley would seem to be an obvious reference to Ridley Scott the director of the movie. That said though, the design and art of the games is very unique.

5. Just played this on the Super Game Boy and... finished it at the first attempt with 16 lives left. Only 4 worlds? Do you have to do something special to unlock the next 4 or is that it?
    Score: 294,770

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Just played this on the Super Game Boy and... finished it at the first attempt with 16 lives left. Only 4 worlds? Do you have to do something special to unlock the next 4 or is that it?
    Score: 294,770
    That's it.

It was good for its time. It's still pretty cool.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Protip: Once you beat the game, you can make a second run-through on a higher difficulty level that displays alternate versions of all the standard enemies in addition to increasing their speed and overall numbers. Of course, all of this has to be done without turning off the power since there's no save feature.

8. Now I wish I hadn't switched it off.

9. Whoa, cool. Didn't know about the "re-arranged" higher diff mode. And I'll second what Mikey said. Good game but waaaay too easy. There 1-ups everywhere! Dunno if I mentioned that when I posted this thread last month. Still a neat little classic though.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 04 Mar 2005 at 10:18 PM.

10. I really love the ending music for this game. I wish I still had it!