Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Land: most unique Mario adventure ever?

I loved Super Mario Land even though it didn't compare to the NES Marios. It's one of the games that made me buy a GB early on.

I don't think there was a Doki Doki Panic cartoon though. I was told the Fuji TV name is on the game because they did promotion for it. All I have really found for info is this interview, which doesn't say much.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/093/093...html?fromint=1
    At this point, we got well off track, discussing the secret origin of Super Mario Bros. 2 -- as it turns out, its Japanese counterpart (Doki Doki Panic) was originally commissioned by Fuji TV as a co-promotion with a TV special.

2. Doki Doki Panic was not based on an anime contrary to popular belief. It was actually based on the mascots (Imazin and his family) of Fuji TV's "Yume Kojo '87" festival, which was a convention they held during that year to promote their TV lineup and other productions.

3. Quote Originally Posted by SearchManX
    Damn, that's crazy, didn't think people were still going nuts over SML. It was a very different game, but I loved the shooter levels. The koopas had bombs on their backs!

I still have my copy somewhere, but never got around to buying SML2 even though I beat it a bunch of times...
    Well, it's not a lot but I think he said it gets rented at least 4 times a year still which for some reason is their store's benchmark for keeping a GB cart. :P The cart has been played a lot, the label is almost totally worn off, just a nub of paper. It's a mom and pop store but is really successful here. I like it much better than Hollywood video which is the only major chain store we have.

Awesome, thanks Astro. Good old Gunpei Yokoi, I knew there had to be a reason the game had such a different flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    I'm pretty sure the cheech marin comment was a joke.
    I agree, I'm now changing this to a thread for SML comments if anyone wants to post anymore.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kosh_H
    Awesome, thanks Astro. Good old Gunpei Yokoi, I knew there had to be a reason the game had such a different flavor.
    Most of the Game Boy's lineup were produced by Nintendo R&D1 (Yokoi's team), which is why the Metroid and Kid Icarus sequels were released there.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Undaunted
    Most of the Game Boy's lineup were produced by Nintendo R&D1 (Yokoi's team), which is why the Metroid and Kid Icarus sequels were released there.
    That reminds, after I unlock NES Metroid in Zero Mission I need to play Metroid 2 again. I dunno why some folks are disappointed with it, I love hunting all the different Metroids, especially the Zetas and Omegas. Was very cool to see the big two-legged Omega make a comeback in Fusion and more more varied Metroids in Prime after Super Metroids "Mocktroids." heh

On another side note, it's interesting how a lot of the first gen GB carts had not much more than 4 levels. Mario Land and some of Konami's GB carts fit this. Maybe Nintendo wasn't as willing to spend extra money on putting 1 or 2 extra MB early on?

Giltch Guest
    I used to own this game, but I sold it It really was unique. I wish I still had it

7. $60, TNL discount.

Giltch Guest
    I just spent the last of my money, and if I hadn't, I'd only buy it if it had the original box and docs

9. What a great little game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

10. My only question is where the hell are they still renting these things out?
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."