Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Land: most unique Mario adventure ever?

1. Super Mario Land: most unique Mario adventure ever?

OK, I rented Mario Land for the Chunkboy and have been enjoying it thoroughly. Been at least 12 years since I played it and am amazed at how unique it is for a Mario game. Call me crazy but with the slightly sci-fi setting, the exotic Egyptian/Easter Island locale and the vehicles, it feels like a mix of Mario, Gradius and Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

EDIT: This thread was originally also about the small nugget of weirdness below which I found on Gamefaqs but am now leaving this thread for anyone who wants to add any discussion for this great little game which is the R-TYPE Leo of the Super Mario Adventure series.

Anyways, as we all know about the ripping of SMB 2 fromt he Doki Doki Panic game which was ripped from...uh the Doki Doki Panic cartoon show (?) I found this nugget of weirdness on the SML Gamefaqs board (Cheech Marin's B&W Adventure????):

I was in a website called www.encyclopedia-obscura.com and they were talking about some bad b-movie that had those Chinese hopping vampires (like Hsein-Ko from Capcom's Darkstalkers fighting game series) in it. While talking about the Chinese vampires, they said that you could encounter this type of vampire in, and I quote: "Cheech Marin's Wacky B&W Adventure, released as Super Mario Land in the US."
    Please tell me this isn't true. I also have to ask, which Nintendo R&D team worked on SML? It sure doesn't seem like Miyamoto would want Mario mowing down enemies quasi-shmup style in a sub or plane if he were the game's director. haha
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 05 Feb 2005 at 10:37 PM.

2. I played the heck out of this game when it first came out. Even though I had the fatboy before it's release, SML was my killer app for the GB. Those chinese hopping vampires are in a ton of movies I used to watch when I was a kid, but I don't remember what the movies were called.

I don't know anything about "Cheech Marin's Wacky B&W Adventure" though...
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

3. Yeah, I rabidly drooled over the screens I saw in Nintendo Power. Finally got to play the game on a neighbor's Chunkboy and mumbled and grumbled as I walked home wishing I had one. 3 years later I got my Chunkboy but for some reason I just never got around to buying the first Mario Land. SML 2, Battletoads, the Mega Man GB series, Metroid 2 just kept me way too busy I guess. Last night I tried to buy the cart from the video clerk but he checked the computer and said it's not on their "used allowed sale" list because it still rents pretty frequently. Kinda bummed me out I have to go the ebay route but neat to know a 15 year old GB cart still gets that much play.

4. Damn, that's crazy, didn't think people were still going nuts over SML. It was a very different game, but I loved the shooter levels. The koopas had bombs on their backs!

I still have my copy somewhere, but never got around to buying SML2 even though I beat it a bunch of times...
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

5. Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. I'm pretty sure the cheech marin comment was a joke.

7. hopping vampires sounds so familiar. I must know the name of this movie, I'm pretty sure there was some awesome movie from my high school years with hopping vampires that i have totally forgotten about. This is going to drive me insane for the rest of the night.

8. I'm pretty sure Super Mario Land was an original game by Nintendo that was always a Mario game.
    Here's a picture of the japanese box, if anything -- http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/ima.../box_sml_j.jpg

9. In 5th grade, I traded a jar of jellybeans to someone in exchange for borrowing their Game Boy and this game for a week.

Best trade ever.

10. I kinda liked the later ones more, particularly the Wario Land games. WL2 and 3 are amazing. SML felt like a wierd imitation for some reason.