Thread: Xbox Modification

1. Xbox Modification

My Xbox DVD drive died about a month after I bought it. Sending it in to Microsoft's gonna cost $80.00, as I bought it used for $20, but the guy over the phone told me that they extend the warranty for one year. However, I was entertaining the thought of modding it from day one, what with a newer hard drive and all. However, now that it's dead, I'm in sort of a dilemma: Do I send it back, basically get a brand new Xbox with a one year warranty for $100.00? Or do I find a DVD drive that not only is or could be easily made to be compatable with the Xbox, but that could also fit inside the system (I don't want to ghetto-rig it, what with the DVD drive working but being on the outside of the system). I'm not too interested in putting a burner in it, though as stated I would like to put a larger hard drive in it. Also, cash makes a difference; I don't have money for a mod chip, just a possible new drive. I guess my questions are thus:

1) What inexpensive DVD drive could be used to replace the drive in the Xbox
    2) How would I go about changing this without the use of a mod chip?
    3) Right now, the Xbox won't load ANYTHING. Upon power-on, the system has a dark orange light. However, it WILL go to the dashboard. Instead of buying a new DVD drive, is there any way to fix the current one?
    4) For $80.00, would it just be wiser right now to send it to MS? Tech skills aren't a problem for me, but I've never modded a system like this before. Most I've done is open a system and take canned air to it (amazing how that works wonders).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. you should be able to find an actual xbox DVD drive on ebay somewhere..

that might save you the trouble of modding your system.
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

3. Dag, why didn't I think of that before?! Thanks a million, dude!