Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good freeware software dvd player...in need.

1. A good freeware software dvd player...in need.

Does anyone know of a good software DVD player out there.
    I'd really like one without any spyware/adware (Seeing as I already know of some free ones with some pretty heavy crap in them).

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

2. Good? Free? Hahah. Your best bet is WMP.

3. But WMP needs to have like, PowerDVD installed, even if you don't use PowerDVD. Or has that changed? Is there a build of VLC for Windows?

4. Yeah, it actually doesn't even have to be good...just free, and free of spyware/or (invasive) adware. All I ask is that it works.

And I'd be more then happy to use WMP, but like mike said, you need PowerDVD, don't you? And that's not free...or is it?

It's not even for my computer actually...it's for my girlfriends computer which I just cleaned up of the 2112 pieces of spyware, and for which I just installed a DVD/CD-RW drive I had lying around. So I'm not really wanting to chalk it full of spyware again, since it's free at the moment.

5. PowerDVD != Free

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Is there a build of VLC for Windows?
    Yeah. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ I have never played DVDs w/ it, but it works great for any other movies.
    your mom

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mman
    Yeah. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ I have never played DVDs w/ it, but it works great for any other movies.
    VLC = New.net = adware.
    I think it comes with weather bug, and a few others as well.

also, whenever I search for anything powerDVD, it comes up as $29.99, $69.99. The only free thing is the trial, which sucks ass.
    Last edited by OGcritic; 07 Feb 2005 at 02:17 PM.

8. I doubt VLC would come with those crappy packages since they dev it for several platforms. Download direct from them and it should just be an installer. But then, you may still need PowerDVD or something similar anyway.

9. If VLC comes with spyware it somehow managed to not get on my computer. Seems pretty safe to me.
    your mom

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I doubt VLC would come with those crappy packages since they dev it for several platforms. Download direct from them and it should just be an installer. But then, you may still need PowerDVD or something similar anyway.
    Hmm...well, I downloaded it from that exact page that you linked to. And read the end-user agreement...and read "new.net blah blah blah, privacy statement this, blah blah blah, holds the right to, blah blah blah".
    Try it yourself...you don't have to install it...just open the installer, and browse through the user agreement.
    if it didn't fuck up either of your systems though, I'll give it a shot...if it has something, but it isn't to invasive, then I don't really care.