Thread: Help with SSID, Linksys Router and Windows XP

1. Help with SSID, Linksys Router and Windows XP

I recently built a new computer and this is one of two problems that arose (thankfully the only ones so far).

I want to disable my SSID broadcast so my freeloading neighbors won't leech my bandwidth. Problem is, I don't know how to tell Windows XP what my SSID is so that it will find it if it's not broadcast. This was not a problem with my Win98 laptop because I used Linksys's proprietary software to save a "profile" with my router SSID, allowing it to connect when the SSID broadcast was disabled.

I can't do the same with XP, because the proprietary software causes conflicts with XP's own network connection utility.

Someone help me please.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Are you asking how to turn off the wireless signal entirely or are you asking how to enable WEP/create a closed network?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Are you asking how to turn off the wireless signal entirely or are you asking how to enable WEP/create a closed network?
    Neither. I know how to disable the SSID broadcast.

I want to know how to connect to the wireless router, using my wireless card and Win XP, once SSID broadcast is disabled.

I don't want to turn the signal off.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

4. SSID = Network Name. Did you set up a network name? If not, it's probably still "linksys".

*clicks his Airport menu*

Just like the five that show up for me. Not a good name, grab the router's manual to find out how to change it to something cool like, "sleevenet".

You're basically creating a closed network - only people who know the SSID can join, it won't show up on any WLAN sniffers for warwalkers or whatnot. The other thing you can do is watch the DHCP clients list and just start banning MAC addresses.

EDIT: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...wers.search_nl
    Last edited by Mike; 09 Feb 2005 at 03:15 AM.

5. I know how to change the SSID (i.e. the network name).

But that does you no good if the router broadcasts the name. Which is why I want to disable it.

How do I do that while continuing to allow myself access? Doesn't anyone know the answer to this question?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wolffen
    edit: If that doesn't work, go into the Network control panel, right mouse click on your Wireless connection, and chose properties. Click on the Wireless Networks tab. Under the Preferred Networks section, click the Add button and type in your SSID and WEP key, and click OK. See if you can connect at this point.
    I've already tried this. It doesn't work

EDIT: oops, this is sleeveboy. Instead of posting a new message I edited Wolffen's.
    Last edited by sleeve; 09 Feb 2005 at 08:33 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    I can't do the same with XP, because the proprietary software causes conflicts with XP's own network connection utility.

Someone help me please.
    This is very odd that you have this problem. I too have a Linksys router, but the proprietary software causes no conflict with my XP connection utility. In fact, I don't see how you could do this without the proprietary software, since you use that to disable SSID broadcast and create your WEP keys.

Make sure you download the latest router software from your manufacturer's website, especially if you have SP2. If you have SP2, do all your Windows Updates first. If you're getting error messages, plug those into Google and see what people have been saying in random forums.

That's all that I can suggest for now. What router model number do you have, and what are you using to connect to that router?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

8. Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    I know how to change the SSID (i.e. the network name).

But that does you no good if the router broadcasts the name. Which is why I want to disable it.

How do I do that while continuing to allow myself access? Doesn't anyone know the answer to this question?
    If you've looked through the router's config page and can't find it, update the firmware for the router. The setting should be either "Closed Network" or "Disable SSID", I can't think of any other terminology that could be used to describe it. There's no way to disable the SSID broadcast and still have the network show up in your list only, you have to select "Other Network" and type the name/pw in. The only way to limit usage to your machine is either blocking certain MAC addresses as they show up or a MAC address access list.

Personally, rather than deal with figuring this out, I would just enable a 128-bit WEP password. But then, I'd have a Base Station and I know how to do what you're asking about with it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wolffen
    EDIT: oops, this is sleeveboy. Instead of posting a new message I edited Wolffen's.
    OMG, body snatcher!
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.