Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Xbox is going to burn your house down

1. Your Xbox is going to burn your house down

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4274035.stm

Quote Originally Posted by slightly modified bbc.com article
    Microsoft has said it will replace more than 14 million power cables for its Xbox consoles due to safety concerns.

The company said the move was a "preventative step" after reports of fire hazard problems with the cables.

It affects Xboxes made before 23 October 2003 for all regions but mainland Europe - and consoles in that region made before 13 January 2004.

Microsoft said it had received 30 reports of minor injury or property damage due to faulty cables.

The firm said fewer than one in 10,000 consoles had experienced component failures.

The recall affects almost three quarters of all Xboxes sold around the world since its launch in 2001.

In a statement, it added: "In almost all instances, any damage caused by these failures was contained within the console itself or limited to the tip of the power cord at the back of the console."

But in seven cases, customers reported sustaining a minor burn to their hand. Others have had their house burned down.

In 23 cases, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet, entertainment centre, or genitalia.

"This is a preventative step we're choosing to take despite the rarity of these incidents," said Robbie Bach, senior vice president, Microsoft home and entertainment division.

"We regret the inconvenience, but believe offering consumers a free replacement cord is the responsible thing to do." He added, "Lord knows we can definitely afford it."

Microsoft said customers would get replacement cords within two to four weeks from the time of order. It advised users to turn off their Xboxes when not in use and go outside every once in a while.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

2. I'm screwed, then. I hope I have a place to come home to.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    In 23 cases, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet, entertainment centre, or genitalia.
    The hell are these people doing with their Xboxes?

4. editing news articles for humor is lame.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Shakey
    editing news articles for humor is lame.
    *reads original article*

Ah..hahaha...heh...hmm. Yep.

6. I haven't seen any flaming death spewing from my XBox yet.
    That said, maybe I'll go spend a whole $3 at Radio Shack for a new one just in case.

LOL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey
    editing news articles for humor is lame.
    Not when someone falls for it.

8. OMG XBOX SUXORS!!! At least my PS2 wont burn down your home!

Funny to come home and see this because some lady called the store today saying how the xbox is being recalled and she has two she just bought. I let her know I didnt know what the hell she was talking about. Its weird because usually our corporate is pretty quick to get us recall info. Anyways its good to know its no big deal at all. Too bad that doesnt stop the loonies from freaking out about nothing at all.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

9. CNN Headline News did a piece on this at about 5 AM. I'll probably order a replacement cord, although mine is fine, one can never be too sure with stuff like this.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    CNN Headline News did a piece on this at about 5 AM. I'll probably order a replacement cord, although mine is fine, one can never be too sure with stuff like this.
    No Jeremy... keep your current cord.

Nothing will happen.