Yeah, so I picked up Taiseng's release of the Assassin...supposedly a martial arts film in the vain of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...Well it sucks...avoid it at all costs...it has nothing to do with CTHD...Taiseng is just trying to milk the unknowing masses that were impressed by CTHD and want more...

And once again, self-appointed HK expert Ric Meyers does audio commentary on the video--the more I hear about HK films from the guy, the more I dislike his arrogance...he's been studying the films for years and often comments on poor subtitle translations, yet does not speak a word of Cantonese...

The only recognizable person from this film is Rosamund Kwan, from the Once Upon a Time in China series. It also stars Max Mok and Zhang Fenyi who have done a few Chinese films that I really can't recall...

Anyway, the main guy becomes an assassin and does dirty work for the emperor and that's about it...the fight scenes sometimes are blurry ala Bride with White Hair and at other times the typical HK fight styles...very unimpresive...

Sure Kwan is nice looking, but she's in the film for very little screen time. As for the quality of the DVD, well it's very poor. I used to buy Taiseng tapes and love the quality, but they can't seem to match the same quality when it comes to DVD.

So in closing, avoid this film...

On a side note: I also just picked up 2002 and started watching it...I know Despair has talked about this film before and I must agree that it is a great film. I recognize a lot of the people involved in Gen X Cops. These guys seem to represent the new generation of HK films and are doing a great job. Personally, judging by the way Nick Tse looks in the film, I think he would be a shoo in to play Dante in a live action Devil May Cry...