Thread: In need of an inexpensive LCD monitor

1. In need of an inexpensive LCD monitor

You guys are always helpful on this stuff, so here we go.

I don't have the physical space for a CRT on my desk, since I have 2 computers and it's NOT a large desk. In a few weeks I have a new piece of furniture coming in, so I have to move my PC monitor up on my desk (its currently on a table behind the desk, on stacked books). It's not a very good CRT anyway, 15" and old and I'm only borrowing it, anyway.

I need an LCD monitor, preferably 17", for $250 or under. I've been looking on newegg and stuff, and have a few I've sort of liked.

ViewEra

PolyView

Sharp

I don't want anything with resolution lower than 1280x1024 if possible, and I want nice response times (nothing over 24ms, preferably 16ms and under).

Since I know absolutely NOTHING about monitors, let alone LCD ones, if I'm missing any important points or things to look out for, please inform me. I know about dead pixels, and the first one I linked to has a manufacturers guarantee of none, so it's sitting nice with me right now for that.

2. cheap lcd's with good response times dont exist. harsh....but true.

3. Good for the price is all I'm concerned about. If I absolutely must, I can bust out the CRT for the times when I'm playing intense games. 25 seems to be average response time, so 12 and 16 are sounding as good as it gets.

4. I got my Samsung a few years ago for $500. It's probably pretty close to $250 now. I'm a fan of Samsungs monitors (no dead pixels on mine and I've had no problems with it).

5. What model? 'Samsung' doesn't really narrow it down too much.

6. Whichever is the cheapest. Samsung is the king of computer LCDs.

7. Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    What model? 'Samsung' doesn't really narrow it down too much.
    171v or something. But that model number isn't really relevent since it's a few years old. Just know that if you pick a samsung, you'll be happy with it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Whichever is the cheapest. Samsung is the king of computer LCDs.
    Really? Is that for reliability as well as performance? I too need a monitor and I was thinking of getting a flat panel TV/Monitor by LG or Samsung.

9. LGs have seemed to have poorer response times and pretty mediocre contrast ratio and brightness, at least in the under 300 range. I haven't seen one yet I'd want to buy.

I guess I'll save up a bit longer and try to get this samsung, it looks pretty nice and it's only a tiny bit out of my current price range.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...001-171&depa=1
    Last edited by Nomi; 27 Feb 2005 at 02:05 PM.