Page 1 of 64 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender

1. Avatar: The Last Airbender

So anyway, there's this animated show on Nick that is actually chock full of quality animation, direction, and writing.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...t/showid-28841

For those who want a quick fix of information, it's basically a very anime-inspired cartoon, though it's not the amateurish copies like Totally Spies and not totally whacked out like Teen Titans (though I do enjoy Teen Titans.) It actually, genuinely looks like the show came out of Japan.

There are 4 elements, and 4 societies around the world that represent them. The Fire Nation, the Earth Kingdom, the Water Tribes and the Air Nomads. Within these factions, there are people called elemental benders, or those that can manipulate their sponsored element. There exists, however, a person who can master all 4 elemental arts, starting with one of them, and this person is called the Avatar. The Avatar usually has a very important role in world events/politics, and when he or she dies, they are reincarnated into the next elemental society in the cycle.

So currently, the Fire Nation is being a whore, they killed ALL the airbenders, and the last among them is the young Avatar, destined to end the war and stop the Fire Nation. The Last Airbender, Ang, meets two children from the Water Tribe, and they travel together to try and learn more about the world and potentially stop the war.

The quality of animation is quite spectacular, and the fight scenes are top-notch, and remind me very much of the glory days of Samurai Jack's fight choreography.
    EDIT: It airs every day at different times, with premiers on Saturday nights at 9:30 ET/PT. That said, a video:

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supe...id=ava&clip=16
    Last edited by George; 28 Feb 2005 at 12:07 AM.

2. Wow. That looks amazing. Great music to go along with it. I must try and remember to actually watch this.
    your mom

3. I started at five, and added a point for every good scene and subtracted a point for every corny scene, zero being the lowest and twenty one being the highest, and I got up to 15. I liked it a lot more than i thought i would, considering i started watching it with the impression that Nick would definitely ruin it somehow (they didn't). some people i know complained that the flying bison was too blatantly ripping off Miyazaki, but i thought it was pure genious.

4. How long has this been on? You say it's on Fridays but the website says it started on the 21st which wasn't a Friday this year or last year so I'm a little confused there. Looks pretty good in any case.

Are there any torrents for this, I get Nick but I quickly lose track of time and will always miss it, which is also why I haven't watched Teen Titans since the season-opener return of Terra. Which reminds me, are there torrents for Teen Titans floating around as well?

5. I watched the first episode yesterday on tv. I went from making fun of it to loving it in about 5 minutes.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    How long has this been on? You say it's on Fridays but the website says it started on the 21st which wasn't a Friday this year or last year so I'm a little confused there. Looks pretty good in any case.

Are there any torrents for this, I get Nick but I quickly lose track of time and will always miss it, which is also why I haven't watched Teen Titans since the season-opener return of Terra. Which reminds me, are there torrents for Teen Titans floating around as well?
    You're right, it didn't premier on a Friday, but Nick's website says the schedule is 8pm. I could be wrong or it could have been central/pacific time. There's only been 2 episodes so far, an hour long opener and a normal length episode.

As for Teen Titans, hit me up on AIM sometime, I have all of season 2 and some of season 3.

EDIT: Yes, the new episodes premier on Saturday nights at 9:30 ET/PT but the same episode replays just about every day at different times. To check when it's playing, the link is here: http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_show...uestid=1284900
    Last edited by George; 28 Feb 2005 at 12:06 AM.

7. Hopefully Nickoleodeon won't run this into the ground. I can't see Nick allowing this series to move along at a healthy pace without whoring it out at all times of the day like they did with spongebob .

The style is great and is one of the best anime-inspired I have ever seen. I can't believe it's not on Toonami.
    Last edited by toby; 28 Feb 2005 at 03:48 AM.

8. Interesting. I will give it a try, and look for the torrents.

9. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm taping Monday's showing and giving it a try.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

10. Never heard about this but it looks really cool. Anyone know who does the animation? Nice not seeing that shitty glasky-goopo or whatever the hell it is that does rugrats and the other 5 shows that look just like it.