Page 154 of 159 FirstFirst ... 140150152153154155156158 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1582

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

1. That quote is for the label, Stormspell, not the band, Blazon Stone.

The label almost exclusively releases thrash and speed metal records.

2. Grave Miasma is out.

Not sure exactly when it came out, but I bought the new Kayo Dot record. It's very good.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    That quote is for the label, Stormspell, not the band, Blazon Stone.

The label almost exclusively releases thrash and speed metal records.
    My mistake. Remember when you posted this pile of shit a few years back (videos removed for brevity)?

Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    In the same way that hipsters use fashion to make themselves seem like something they really aren't (trucker hats, flannel clothes, etc.) hipster bands don the "clothes" of old bands and immitate the "fashion" of the music without understanding that the old bands simply sound like they do because they are being who they are, not trying to be like someone they admire, or trying to be someone that will make them popular.

Thrash metal

Originator: Overkill
    Hipster Equivalent: Toxic Holocaust

Crossover

Originator: D.R.I.
    Hipster Equivalent: Municipal Waste

Black Metal

Originator: Mayhem
    Hipster Equivalent: 1349

Death Metal

Originator: Nihilist/Entombed
    Hipster Equivalent: Bloodbath

Technical Death Metal

Originator: Atheist
    Hipster Equivalent: Beneath the Massacre

Video content in summary:

Original bands display a distinctive style of instrumentation and a definitive artistic direction.

Hipster bands borrow their instrumentation from originators and assemble it in a generic, cookie-cutter package, with the artistic content typically being removed from the equation.
    By your own definition, Blazon Stone is a hipster band, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Grave Miasma is out.

Not sure exactly when it came out, but I bought the new Kayo Dot record. It's very good.
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I forgot Odori Sepulcrorum came out on the 13th. Just ordered it through Profound Lore.

I think the last Kayo Dot I heard was Blue Lambency Downward, and it didn't do much for me. I was a huge maudlin of the Well fan, but Toby's stuff post-2001 mostly leaves me cold and seems borderline masturbatory. Is Kayo Dot even classified as metal at this point?

Edit: Think it's time to dig out Bath/Leaving Your Body Map. It's been too long.
    Last edited by No One; 18 Sep 2013 at 03:24 AM.

4. This one is definitely metal influenced.

http://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/hubardo
    Boo, Hiss.

5. I'll be damned. That doesn't sound too far removed from Choirs of the Eye, which I at least found interesting in parts. Cool to see Byron listed in the credits with a cameo on the first track; always thought that dude's vocals were versatile as hell.

I'll give it a shot.

6. Been listening to motW this afternoon. They really deserved more attention than they ended up getting, but I suppose that's to be expected with how niche a lot of their material is.

7. Listening to more of that new Kayo Dot. It's really quite incredible. Sounds almost like Sigh at times.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. That's a bold statement, considering how brilliant most of Sigh's output has been. One of only a few old guard second wave black metal bands that's still worth a shit.

Still waiting on Hubardo to arrive. Got the new Grave Miasma yesterday and it's been kicking my ass. So good.

Edit: For whatever reason, it's reminding me of Ondskapt's last two LPs.
    Last edited by No One; 23 Sep 2013 at 06:50 PM.

9. Iced Earth is going death metal?

Click for full size

I heard some sick ass instrumental technical doom (is there such a thing?) band yesterday but I have NO IDEA who they were.