Page 5 of 159 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

1. I love comprehensive fan mixes. Got the first two discs of this one from another board (it's on soulseek and there's also a torrent file for it). How awesome is this?

Disc One
    1. Dio – We Rock (Los Angeles, 1984)
    2. Iron Maiden – The Trooper (UK, 1983)
    3. Riot – Swords and Tequila (New York, 1981)
    4. Tygers of Pan Tang – Gangland (UK, 1981)
    5. Sweet Savage – Eye of the Storm (UK, 1981)
    6. Overkill – Hello From the Gutter (New York, 1988)
    7. Anthrax – Caught in a Mosh (New York, 1987)
    8. Stormtroopers of Death – Speak English Or Die (New York, 1986)
    9. Nuclear Assault – Brainwashed (New York, 1988)
    10. Trouble – The Tempter (Chicago, 1984)
    11. Possessed – The Exorcist (San Francisco, 1985)
    12. Mercyful Fate – A Dangerous Meeting (Denmark, 1984)
    13. Holocaust – Death or Glory (UK, 1981)
    14. Celtic Frost – Dethroned Emperor (Switzerland, 1984)
    15. Carcass – Crepitating Bowel Erosion (UK, 1989)
    16. St. Vitus - Dying Inside (Los Angeles, 1986)
    17. Bathory – A Fine Day to Die (Sweden, 1989)

Disc Two
    1. Slayer – Hell Awaits (Los Angeles, 1985)
    2. Witchfinder General – Witchfinder General (UK, 1982)
    3. Venom – Countess Bathory (UK, 1982)
    4. Godflesh - Christbait Rising (UK, 1989)
    5. Morbid Angel – Chapel of Ghouls (UK, 1989)
    6. Metal Church – Beyond the Black (Seattle, 1984)
    7. Candlemass – At the Gallows End (Sweden, 1987)
    8. Witchfynde – Leaving Nadir (UK, 1980)
    9. Grim Reaper – See You in Hell (UK, 1984)
    10. Motorhead – Killed By Death (UK, 1984)
    11. Girlschool – Demolition Boys (UK, 1980)
    12. Armored Saint – Can U Deliver (Los Angeles, 1984)
    13. Crimson Glory – Eternal World (Sarasota, FL, 1988)
    14. Helloween – Halloween (Germany, 1987)

Disc Three
    1. Metallica – Fight Fire With Fire (San Francisco, 1984)
    2. Diamond Head – Am I Evil? (UK, 1980)
    3. Blitzkrieg – Blitzkrieg (UK, 1981)
    4. Exodus – A Lesson in Violence (San Francisco, 1985)
    5. Megadeth – Hook in Mouth (Los Angeles, 1988)
    6. Annihilator – Alison Hell (Canada, 1989)
    7. Death Angel – Bored (San Francisco, 1988)
    8. Dark Angel – Darkness Descends (Los Angeles, 1986)
    9. Sepultura – Inner Self (Brazil, 1989)
    10. Kreator – Ripping Corpse (Germany, 1986)
    11. Napalm Death – Scum (UK, 1987)
    12. Yngwie Malmsteen – I'll See the Light Tonight (Sweden, 1985)
    13. Queensryche – Queen of the Reich (Seattle, 1983)
    14. Fates Warning - The Apparition (Connecticut, 1985)
    15. Voivod – Tribal Convictions (Canada, 1988)
    16. Savatage – Sirens (Florida, 1983)
    17. Judas Priest – The Sentinel (UK, 1984)

Disc Four
    1. Accept – Balls to the Wall (Germany, 1984)
    2. Scorpions – Blackout (Germany, 1982)
    3. Michael Schenker Group – Assault Attack (Germany, 1982)
    4. Warlock – All We Are (Germany, 1987)
    5. Raven – Take Control (UK, 1983)
    6. Anvil – Metal on Metal (Canada, 1982)
    7. Jag Panzer – Licensed to Kill (Colorado, 1984)
    8. Testament – Trial By Fire (San Francisco, 1988)
    9. Death – Pull the Plug (Florida, 1988)
    10. Destruction – Invincible Force (Germany, 1985)
    11. Bolt Thrower - Lost Souls Domain (UK, 1989)
    12. Angel Witch – Angel Witch (UK, 1980)
    13. Lizzy Borden – Give 'Em the Axe (Los Angeles, 1984)
    14. King Diamond – Abigail (Denmark, 1987)
    15. Ozzy Osbourne – Believer (live, from Tribute, 1987) (UK, 1981)
    16. Manowar – Hail and Kill (New York, 1988)
    17. Saxon – Power and Glory (UK, 1983)
    18. Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell (UK, 1980)

2. Good comps. Not stuff I find myself listening to often on the whole, but all good moreorless. I'm not a Malmsteen fan (so much) or really big on Napalm Death, Anvil, Voivod, and a few others but on the whole it's good.
    o_O

Eh Malsteem is good to know about. If only to know the one metal guy all guitar players know about.

"ZOMG I WANT TO PLAY JUST LIKE Malmsteem, HE PLAY SO FAST!!!!"

4. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=34951

Crap news, but it seems that this isn't going to stop the band from continuing:

Quote Originally Posted by The Official Blind Guardian Homepage
    German power metallers BLIND GUARDIAN have parted ways with longtime drummer Thomen Stauch. Frontman Hansi Kόrsch's official statement on the matter reads as follows:

"No news is good news. This obviously is bad news. After walking along the same musical paths for about 20 years and after several long, open and honest discussions between the four band members, we have all (including Thomen) come to the same conclusion that it is now best for Thomen to leave the band.

"Since we developed different musical and personal directions for quite a while now, it turned out to be more and more difficult to find acceptable and suitable solutions for everyone in the band. Such circumstances would have eventually caused severe internal problems. Therefore, to avoid any damage to our close relationship this difficult step is essential. In terms of creativity or progression neither one of us would like to hold the other one back. Due to that fact the split seems to be a sad, but reasonable solution. We wish Thomen all the best for the future and hope to come up with more positive news in the near future.

"…and day shall come again"

In a separate statement of his own, Stauch emphasized that the split was amicable and offered his gratitude to his former BLIND GUARDIAN colleagues:

"As you may have read in Hansi's statement, I am no longer the drummer of BLIND GUARDIAN. From now on we are going our separate ways, at least musically. I must admit it is quite a sad, but necessary decision in order for us to remain friends.

"I stand fully behind Hansi's declaration, so I will keep my statement as short as possible, and wish BLIND GUARDIAN all the best for the future, hoping that they find another drummer without any hassle.

"I would also like to use this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you who stood by us through all those years, especially our fans. You are the best!!! I hope to see you again soon!

"A big thank you to my old colleagues, Hansi, Andre and Marcus, for all the amazing times we've shared."
    My thoughts on this:

As saddening as this news is, I am very relieved that Blind Guardian will be carrying on! What I believe the band might do is just continue on as a 3 piece "band" but have a hired drummer for studio productions and live concerts. Another band who does this and is quite successful with the results is Therion, whose drummer on their last 2 studio efforts was very very fantastic. Of course Thomen can never be fully replaced but honestly in my view, Blind Guardian = Hansi Kursch + Andre Olbrich at the heart.
    Last edited by station82o; 03 Apr 2005 at 12:18 PM.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

5. Quote Originally Posted by station82o
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=34951

Crap news, but it seems that this isn't going to stop the band from continuing:

My thoughts on this:

As saddening as this news is, I am very relieved that Blind Guardian will be carrying on! What I believe the band might do is just continue on as a 3 piece "band" but have a hired drummer for studio productions and live concerts. Another band who does this and is quite successful with the results is Therion, whose drummer on their last 2 studio efforts was very very fantastic. Of course Thomen can never be fully replaced but honestly in my view, Blind Guardian = Hansi Kursch + Andre Olbrich at the heart.
    Well, that's just the way it works. It's pretty phenomenal for any band to maintain the same lineup for nearly 20 years. Two decades is a long time, and people change. Better to have one member split amicably than have the entire band self-destruct because no one would let go.

Honestly, I thought if anyone did leave the band it would probably be Thomen, but I figured he'd have to retire due to that recurring nerve problem iin his hand (or the fact that he smokes like a burning house). I didn't think it would be an issue with musical direction.

But anyway, best of luck to the guy. I don't think Blind Guardian will be affected too heavily, since they use touring musicians and Thomen wasn't one of the principal songwriters.

As for Therion, I think that's an apples-and-oranges type of deal because that band only has one member that matters anyway.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Winter
    Honestly, I thought if anyone did leave the band it would probably be Thomen, but I figured he'd have to retire due to that recurring nerve problem iin his hand (or the fact that he smokes like a burning house). I didn't think it would be an issue with musical direction.

But anyway, best of luck to the guy. I don't think Blind Guardian will be affected too heavily, since they use touring musicians and Thomen wasn't one of the principal songwriters.
    [edit] BTW Winter = Cynicalsphere for all you old schoolers

Agreed - I dont think this is going to be that much of a blow to them - so long as Hansi and Andre still feel the need to make music together, the loss of a non-songwriting member won't hurt them too much.
    Last edited by station82o; 08 Apr 2005 at 12:29 PM.

7. Wow, there's already a site for Thomen's new band.

http://www.thomen.de/

They sound a bit like really old Blind Guardian crossed with Persuader.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Winter
    They sound a bit like really old Blind Guardian crossed with Persuader.
    That's because everyone but the vocalist (who's from Iron Savior) were/are members of those two bands you mentioned.

Anyway, I listened to the two tracks on Thomen's site and they're both enjoyable, albeit a bit generic, and almost too similar to Blind Guardian at times--then again, maybe my impressions would be more favorable if I hadn’t been listening to a large amount of material from Blind Guardian’s early-middle era these past three weeks. Still, Savage Circus shows some promise as a potentially solid speed/power metal act, and I'll definitely give the full-length debut a listen when it makes its way onto Soulseek.

9. Savage Circus will be nice for a void filling role for those people who want "Somewhere Far Beyond - Imaginations" era styled music, but it is a little *too* close to Blind Guardian cloning for it not to recieve some eye slanting. Enjoyable music however, I particularly liked "Evil Eyes", nice chorus on that song. Persuader seems to be a bit more thrashier than Blind Guardian's early stuff, but if you take Emil's guitar playing and Jen's vocals into Blind Guardian styled songs it really does come off as pure and simple Blind Guardian cloning, but who am I too complain? Like I said its filling a void and its good sounding stuff so far.

For us Persuader fans, I checked the band's website (www.persuader.nu) and they're already working on the follow up to "Evolution Purgatory", which is mighty fine news to me. Its going to be a good year of releases yet again it seems.

The best part about Thomen Stauch's statement on his website was

Quote Originally Posted by Thomen Stauch
    I’d like reassure you that our separation is definitely NOT the beginning of the end for Blind Guardian.
    Thats nice to hear, Hansi said as much in his statement but its good to get a corresponding confirmation. Blind Guardian fans have a new Blind Guardian album, an orchestral project by Andre and Hansi, and a new Demons & Wizards album too look forward too (see below for more info), future looks nice.

Notable metal happenings:

Quote Originally Posted by www.blabbermouth.net
    DEMONS & WIZARDS: New Album Details Revealed - Apr. 5, 2005 DEMONS & WIZARDS, the project featuring Jon Schaffer of ICED EARTH and Hansi Kόrsch of BLIND GUARDIAN, have set "Touched by the Crimson King" as the title of their sophomore album, due June 27 via SPV Records.

The follow-up to the group's 2001 self-titled CD, "Touched by the Crimson King" will feature the following track listing:

01. Crimson King
    02. Beneath These Waves
    03. Terror Train
    04. Seize the Day
    05. The Gunslinger
    06. Love's Tragedy Asunder
    07. Wicked Witch
    08. Dorian
    09. Down Where I Am
    10. Immigrant Song (LED ZEPPELIN cover)

There is currently talk about DEMONS & WIZARDS filming a video for their version of "Immigrant Song". However, at press time, this has not yet been officially confirmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by www.blabbermouth.net
    BRUCE DICKINSON: New Solo Album Samples Posted Online - Apr. 8, 2005 Audio samples of two tracks from IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson's upcoming solo album, "Tyranny of Souls", have been posted online at his official web site. Check out the tracks "Abduction" (Windows Media) and "Soul Intruders" (Windows Media).

As previously reported, "Tyranny of Souls" is scheduled for release on May 24 (one day earlier internationally) via Sanctuary Records.

Seven years have elapsed since the vocalist's last fully-fledged solo release, "The Chemical Wedding", during which time he made a hugely successful return to IRON MAIDEN, recording two highly acclaimed albums and touring the globe several times.

This new album sees him renewing a fruitful collaboration with guitarist/producer/writer Roy Z of the Latin-based rock group TRIBE OF GYPSIES. Z has worked with Bruce since 1994's "Balls to Picasso" album, also producing the likes of HELLOWEEN, DOWNSET, HALFORD and most recently JUDAS PRIEST's reunion album, "Angel of Retribution".

A deejay, broadcaster and qualified airline pilot, Bruce is a man for all seasons whose punishing schedule would terrify a less driven soul. It was following on from the end of the last MAIDEN tour that Bruce saw an opportunity to work alongside Roy again.

"With MAIDEN, once the band have finished up on the tours, we all tend to go our separate ways and do our own thing for a while until it's time to saddle up again for the next album. I knew I could seize the chance to work with Roy in between his work on the new PRIEST album. We both work quickly together, which I like, and the recording is very organic so it came together quite easily. I'm very proud of it."

Bruce and Roy had exchanged ideas in demo form before commencing work at Roy's Los Angeles home in February 2004. Guitar and bass parts had already been cut by Z, with David Moreno contributing some incredible drumming. Keyboards would later be added by a shady individual known only as Maestro Mistheria. "He's Italian," exclaims Bruce enthusiastically, "but nobody's met him. We email him the tracks, and he sends them back overlain with millions of ideas. They're all fantastic, and we just chose the ones that we want!"

Only slightly less bizarrely, the material was recorded in a single room containing just ProTools recording equipment, a microphone… and a bed. "I'd fallen off stage and ripped some chest muscles, I was in absolute agony," relates Bruce. "I could sing for about 10 minutes at a time, but then I'd have to lie down."

"Tyranny of Souls" is an album of remarkable poise and accomplishment. Much like the man that made it, its 10 tracks encompass various moods. The album takes the listener on an adventurous journey. It begins in punishing fashion, all apocalyptic drumming and fiery guitar work, before "Navigate the Seas of the Sun" supplies what Bruce calls "a little chill-out moment." From there, it builds to a spectacular conclusion, with many high-points along the way.

Like its predecessor, which tapped into the occult science of alchemy and the poetry and art of William Blake as its twin sources of inspiration, "Tyranny of Souls" offers depth, intrigue and dark wisdom beyond the norm and appropriately a 15th Century painting of Flemish artist Hans Hemling's depiction of hell adorns the album's sleeve. An album full of thoughtful lyrics, Bruce's well-publicised endeavours in a variety of different fields — he's also a fully qualified airline pilot, published novelist, TV presenter, expert swordsman and BBC rock DJ — all serve to defy the notion of heavy metal as the domain of the brainless Neanderthal.

"I've always hated those type of generic theories," shrugs Bruce. "But I also dislike being trotted out as the token metal guy with a brain, because it's so demeaning to everybody else and so clichιd and untrue that the metal fraternity is less intelligent. Most of the time it's the complete opposite. All I can do is try to be me."

The album's piece de resistance is its title track. At turns soothingly melodic and staggeringly powerful, it can only be described as a juggernaut.

"The opening part was also cribbed from the three witches in 'Macbeth'. Basically, it's what the whole track ended up being about — the supernatural manipulating people from behind their backs."

Lyrically, the album dips in and out of sci-fi and aviation-related areas. There are no prizes for guessing what the song "Abduction" is about, but "Soul Intruders" is a distant cousin, Bruce wondering aloud whether "there are loose spirits floating around the universe. They can zap into our bodies and inhabit us, a bit like a computer virus, and we don't even know they're there. When we die, they just attach themselves to somebody else."

Dickinson recently presented a series called "Flying Heavy Metal" on the Discovery Channel, and "Kill Devil Hill" tells the story of the Wright brothers, Wilbur and Orville, creators of the world's first airplane and its pioneering flight in the year 1900. "The odds were stacked against them," says Bruce incredulously. "They needed a steady wind in the right direction at exactly 20 knots to make that plane fly. What hand of fate would make them be there at exactly the right time, in combination with the right elements? It was all about getting them up there alongside the angels. Maybe God gave them a push?"

"Devil on a Hog", meanwhile, is an anthemic hard rocker that harks back to Bruce's 1990 solo debut, "Tattooed Millionaire". "I was imagining the devil getting kicked out of heaven and going around picking up chicks," imparts its creator. "He offers them the best sex they'll ever have, but says he'll see them again in a few years. There will always be payback."

"Tyranny of Souls" track listing:

01. Mars Within (Intro)
    02. Abduction
    03. Soul Intruders
    04. Kill Devil Hill
    05. Navigate the Seas of the Sun
    06. River of No Return
    07. Power of the Sun
    08. Devil on a Hog
    09. Believil
    10. A Tyranny of Souls
    Despite the samples being very short, I'm very eager for the new Bruce solo album, its only been 7 fucking years. Sounds like a mix of Chemical Wedding with the diversity of Accident of Birth, should be good.
    Last edited by station82o; 08 Apr 2005 at 12:41 PM.

http://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dre....php#gigantour

Megadeth and Dream Theater to co-headline GIGANTOUR 2005
    Added on 04-05-2005

For Immediate Release:

DAVE MUSTAINE'S 'GIGANTOUR'
    SET TO LAUNCH IN LATE JULY;
    DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY,
    DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN AND NEVERMORE
    CONFIRMED TO JOIN MEGADETH ON THE MAINSTAGE
    FOR SIX-WEEK NORTH AMERICAN TREK

It's called GIGANTOUR, and it's the brainchild of MEGADETH frontman/guitarist DAVE MUSTAINE.

Set to launch in late July, GIGANTOUR is a six-week festival trek co-headlined by MEGADETH and DREAM THEATER, who'll be accompanied by other mainstage acts Fear Factory, Dillinger Escape Plan and Nevermore. Artists for the second stage will be announced in the coming weeks.

GIGANTOUR follows MEGADETH's sold-out 2004 "Blackmail The Universe" Tour in support of 2004's THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED--MEGADETH's tenth studio album--which debuted on the charts at #18 and was critically hailed as a brilliant return to form. Bandmates Glen Drover (guitar), James MacDonough (bass) and Shawn Drover (drums) will once again join MUSTAINE on the road.

GIGANTOUR--whose moniker was inspired by the classic 1960's cartoon "Gigantor"--will criss-cross North America, with stops in amphitheatres and arenas in cities including Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Denver and Minneapolis, among others. The tour is implementing the "fan friendly" ticket price of approximately $35 each. MUSTAINE notes: "I think people may want an affordable alternative to the choices out there--along the lines of a pure music festival--like Monsters of Rock or Clash of the Titans."

MUSTAINE handpicked the bands for GIGANTOUR, with a focus on musicianship. "There are few very successful tours out each summer and in order to be significant, I knew the first Gigantour had to make an impact with top bands like DREAM THEATER, Fear Factory, Dillinger Escape Plan and Nevermore." MUSTAINE wanted to "put together a festival that consisted of positive bands that play heavy music in a high energy environment."

MUSTAINE comments on the other bands he's chosen for the GIGANTOUR mainstage. "I think that the variety of playing styles and the credibility of the different players is really exciting. I'm looking forward to spending time with DREAM THEATER--including my friend Mike Portnoy--while on the road. I think DREAM THEATER is unbelievably talented. I can't wait to see what their set list is going to be for this festival."

Mike Portnoy from DREAM THEATER comments on the band's perspective on the tour. "I think we probably bring some diversity to the bill, because we're kind of like chameleons--we can fit into a lot of different situations. We've done shows in the past with Iron Maiden, Slayer and Pantera, and then we've also done shows with Elton John, Yes and Deep Purple. I think our fan base is very diverse like that too." Portnoy sees GIGANTOUR as a "kind of a meeting of musicians and metal-heads." He adds: "I've been listening to MEGADETH since day one and always admired them and Dave as an artist--he's constantly stuck to his guns and stuck by the music he believes in. MEGADETH are one of the pioneers of the genre." GIGANTOUR marks the first U.S. leg of DREAM THEATER dates in support of their forthcoming release OCTAVARIUM, due out June 7 on Atlantic Records.

MUSTAINE first toured with Fear Factory in 1994. "I think Fear Factory and Dillinger Escape Plan are really going to add something different to the tour and bring some new people in." He continues, "The frontman of Nevermore [Warrell Dane] used to be in a band called Sanctuary and I produced their first record."

MUSTAINE is excited to hit the road and has a positive outlook for GIGANTOUR. "I look forward to watching this develop over the years and seeing how we can turn this into something that's going to stand the test of time. And if this works, and it really works, maybe we'll take it elsewhere."

Stay tuned for tour dates, venues and information about the second stage bands to be announced soon.