Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy a new computer...

1. Want to buy a new computer...

I'm going to be ordering a new computer pretty soon from Dell, but wanted some suggestions on what to get or keep my eyes open for.
    The one that caught my eye so far was this number...
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

What do you people who actually know anything about this stuff think?

2. Don't do it.
    o_O

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tracer
    Don't do it.
    ... Okay. What would you suggest?

4. I suggest not throwing money away and building a computer yourself. It's not AS cheap as some people make it out to be (depending on how high end you're willing to go) but it DEFINITLY isn't as hard as you may think it is. It's actually quite rewarding too. You'll pay less (taking into account software licences and all), you'll get more, and if you're thinking of finanaceing through Dell - you'll pay A FUCK-TON less. If you can't afford it all in one shot - the beauty of BYOs is that you don't have to buy all the parts all at once. Check pricewatch.com for good deals (note the feedback on the venodors) and ask here what's good and whats not if you're not sure. You'll get a stable, quality and personalized to the tee product that YOU will understand greater than something shiped to you with poentially proprietary parts (like Compaq likes to do). If you're a student at a college or university you can take advantage of some awesome deals on displays and software licences (like Win XP).
    o_O

5. Quote Originally Posted by Geen
    I'm going to be ordering a new computer pretty soon from Dell, but wanted some suggestions on what to get or keep my eyes open for.
    The one that caught my eye so far was this number...
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

What do you people who actually know anything about this stuff think?
    Stay far away from that one if you want to play any games on it. Crap integrated graphics and I'm not even sure if that model's graphics can be upraded (i.e. has AGP/PCI Express slot).

I built a computer just like that except it was a P3, with 360 something memory for like 200 - 350 bucks.

btw, if anyone needs any computer parts, I can hook you up. I have everything you need except for harddrives, mons, and dvd burners.

I have like 20 P3 comps that the army was running unix on to keep stock.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tracer
    I suggest not throwing money away and building a computer yourself. It's not AS cheap as some people make it out to be (depending on how high end you're willing to go) but it DEFINITLY isn't as hard as you may think it is. It's actually quite rewarding too. You'll pay less (taking into account software licences and all), you'll get more, and if you're thinking of finanaceing through Dell - you'll pay A FUCK-TON less. If you can't afford it all in one shot - the beauty of BYOs is that you don't have to buy all the parts all at once. Check pricewatch.com for good deals (note the feedback on the venodors) and ask here what's good and whats not if you're not sure. You'll get a stable, quality and personalized to the tee product that YOU will understand greater than something shiped to you with poentially proprietary parts (like Compaq likes to do). If you're a student at a college or university you can take advantage of some awesome deals on displays and software licences (like Win XP).
    do what this man says.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

8. I built a very nice Athlon XP machine with a slightly upper mid-range Radeon, 200GB HD and 16x DVD-RW for about 550 total (monitor not included, I'm borrowing a CRT). Just buy your shit off of Newegg.com and you can't go wrong. If it doesn't work, they'll give you a new one. For the 700+ dollars you'd put into that Dell, you could have a much nicer machine.

I told you so.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery